This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Casseroles aren’t just for winter anymore, and with a tasty dish like this 6 net carb keto and low-carb Philly Cheesesteak Casserole, you can dine on something creamy, hot and delicious, all-year long.
I made the mistake of letting my kids try this, then they promptly declared they were eating keto now, too, just to get this casserole for dinner!
I let them have some with pasta, but of course, I ate mine just as it was with a simple side of Zucchini Spaghetti, and loved every bite of it. Next time, I’ll make a double batch!
This keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole is filled with all the familiar flavors of a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, but with none of the carbs! It’s all there – cheese, onions, mushrooms, peppers, and of course, tender beef.
It also has the benefit of being a one-pot meal! Then, after just a quick trip in the oven to melt (more) cheese and get it nice and hot, it’s ready to eat. If you’re looking for another tasty casserole, check out this keto Chicken Pot Pie Casserole!
Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole Substitutions
I used thinly shaved Philly-style beef. It was ribeye, but there are other cuts available. Some grocery stores sell this thinly shaved raw beef in the frozen section, or you may be able to ask the butcher to help you.
If you can’t find the thinly shaved beef, you can use ground beef for a similar flavor.
I used red bell peppers because I wanted a bit of color in the dish, but green bell peppers are just fine and will save you a few carbs. You can also switch up the cheese. I used shredded provolone on top, but any mild cheese will do, even mozzarella!
I baked these in cute individual-size casserole dishes, but any oven-safe dish will do. You just want lots of surface area for that cheese to get brown and bubbly.
Pretty easy, right? Easy enough for a weeknight dinner? You bet! For a step-by-step look at the process, click on the gallery or scroll down for the recipe and a pinnable image for your Pinterest cookbook.
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
Get everything ready. Wash and slice your veggies, including the mushrooms.
Shred your own cheese to avoid the starch that shredded cheese often contains.
If using raw beef, brown it in a pan. Then add your veggies.
Add the beef broth and cream cheese right to the pan. Season with garlic, salt and pepper.
Combine with the cream, and let it simmer, then transfer it to an oven-safe dish.
Top with cheese and bake, that’s it!
- You can make this dish ahead of time, all the way up to baking it in the oven.
- Save money by cooking a roast and slicing it thinly instead of buying prepared and pre-packaged beef.
- Use fresh veggies, not frozen, for a better texture.
- Save a few more pennies by using green peppers instead of red.
What To Serve with Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
Can you Freeze Philly Cheesesteak Casserole?
Yes! You can freeze this tasty keto casserole recipe one of two ways:
Prepare it right up to the point where it goes into the oven (without the cheese) and freeze the mixture in an air-tight container or freezer bag for up to three months.
Simply defrost it in the fridge overnight, top it with cheese and bake as usual.
Or, bake it and fully chill it in the fridge overnight. Wrap it in the baking dish in a layer of plastic wrap, then wrap it in foil. Remove the wrapping before thawing and baking.
It only takes about 15 minutes to prep, and about 15-20 minutes to bake.
Absolutely! Feel free to add/swap your favorite veggies.
Absolutely! Use whatever cheeses you like, or no cheese at all!
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Cabbage Roll in a Bowl
- Al Pastor Pork Carnitas
- even more fabulous easy keto casserole recipes
Creamy, cheesey and filled with all the flavors of the original, this Philly Cheesesteak Casserole will be your new keto and low-carb favorite!
- 1 lb thinly shaved ribeye beef
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 cup bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock, low sodium or unsalted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and the beef, and cook 3-5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are softened. Add the bell pepper.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the beef stock, garlic powder, and cream cheese. Stir well until the cream cheese has melted and mixed with the other ingredients. Add the cream and heat through until just boiling. Check for salt and pepper, adding if necessary.
- **Optional. Thicken the liquid with 1 tbsp of corn starch mixed with 2 tbsp of cold water. Add this to the simmering liquid, stirring well to combine. This will add an extra 1.5 carbs per serving.
- Pour the mixture into an oven-safe casserole (or individual casseroles) and top with the shredded cheese. Heat under the broiler for 3 minutes or until bubbly and brown on top. Enjoy!
Serving Size:3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 577Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 423mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 33g
All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered via Nutrifox, when available, or other similar online calculators. Nutrition values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but readers should make their own calculations if exact calculations are required. Recipe authors are not nutritionists or dieticians and recipes are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. Please consult your primary doctor before making any changes to your diet.