Craving a meaty, cheesy, and packed-full-of-flavor keto Philly Cheesesteak?
With all the flavor and none of the carbs, you’re not going to miss the bread in this easy Keto Philly Cheesesteak, and this recipe makes enough for one hearty portion (easily scaled for more people.)
Hungry? Let’s get cooking!
Ingredients to Make Keto Philly Cheesesteak Stacks
- Thinly sliced roast beef – from the deli or make your own (see below)
- Bell peppers
- Provolone cheese – or your favorite cheese
How To Make Philly Cheesesteak Keto
Traditional Philly cheesesteaks are served on Amoroso rolls which come from a bakery in Philadelphia. Bread is of course a no-no on keto, so I make this famous sandwich keto friendly by swapping out the bread and limiting the use of higher carb veggies.
Making this dish is as simple as:
- sautee the vegetables
- top the meat with the veg
- top the veg with the cheese
- and pop under the broiler to heat through.
Where’s The Beef?
I’ve made this recipe two different ways: 1) using deli roast beef and 2) making my own roast beef.
I started out with a big ole hunk of meat (bottom round roast) that I got on sale at the supermarket. I knew that beauty would be tough as nails if just eaten as a roast, but cooked to medium-rare and sliced thin, it’d be delicious these keto Philly cheesesteaks.
What To Serve With This Beefy Dish
How To Store Low Carb Philly Cheesesteaks
This recipe makes enough for one serving, but if you make additional servings or are prepping ahead, simply box them up and pop them in the fridge for up to three days.
These will freeze, but you’re going to dry out/overcook the beef in the thawing/reheating process, so this dish is best eaten fresh.
LIke This? Also Try:
Step By Step Images
Keto Philly Cheesesteak Stacks – for one
- 4 ounces thinly sliced roast beef keep it rare for extra flavor!
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 green bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 slice onion
- 3 button mushrooms sliced
- 1 ounces provolone cheese or use your favorite cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Use leftover roast beef that’s been sliced super-thin, or buy some from the deli to use in this hearty bunless sandwich. If you’re feeding the non-keto family, stack their sandwiches on buns before toasting under the broiler. But for all you keto fans, go bunless!
- Slice the bell pepper, onions, and mushrooms. In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and the onion and sautee for a few minutes until it starts to turn translucent. About 3 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and continue cooking for about 2 minutes until the mushrooms have given off most of their liquid and it has evaporated from the pan.
- Add the peppers, stirring to combine. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes for the peppers to soften a bit. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble: place the meat in an oven-safe dish. Add the sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and top with the cheese. Heat under the broiler until the cheese has melted, and enjoy!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Want even more keto goodness? This easy peasy keto breakfast recipe is always a hit, and for lunch, check out these meal prep winners. Keto soups and chowders are another hit, and for something meaty, check out this sausage dish.