This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
When you’ve got leftover ham to use up or you’re just in the mood for a creamy casserole that’s filled with amazing flavors, this Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole is the dish for you!
I came up with this recipe when I had a few chicken breasts to use up, along with a chunk of ham and some asparagus. I know that those flavors play nicely together, but I really needed to stretch the ingredients a bit to feed my hungry crew.
The results were amazing. This casserole is creamy, the ham gives it a lovely flavor without overwhelming the dish, and the asparagus adds a bright note that blends perfectly.
And the sauce. OMGee it is so good! I literally licked my plate.
What You Need to Make Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole
- Cutting board – you’re cutting chicken so go with a plastic cutting board (much more sanitary because they’re easier to thoroughly wash)
- Good knife – you know I’m in love with Henkles knives, right?
- Measuring cup
- Cheese grater
- Casserole dish
How to Make This Keto Casserole Recipe
- Cut the chicken into chunks, dice the ham, clean and cut the asparagus, and clean and dice the red bell pepper. Chop the garlic.
- Brown the chicken in the butter until most of the way cooked. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the red bell pepper) and bring to a simmer.
- Add the red bell pepper and put the contents into a casserole dish.
- Top with cheddar and bake!
- Using boneless chicken breast makes this dish an easy weeknight fix.
- Use a separate cutting board for the chicken and the veggies to keep things sanitary.
- The sauce will thicken a bit as it stands but unless you thicken it with xantham gum the sauce will be really quite thin.
- I used old cheddar but feel free to use what you have!
- Use a good quality ham – deli ham is sliced too thin, unless you ask them to cut you a chunk instead of slicing it.
- Make sure you wash the asparagus really well – you don’t want grit in your casserole!
What to Serve with Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole
I love this keto casserole recipe with a lovely fresh and green salad, but you could also just serve it with chunked up fresh veggies. Zucchini Spaghetti is another easy side dish. I make rice for the non-keto hubby and kids to eat with it.
And for dessert, check out this amazing Keto Zucchini Banana Bread!
Is This Casserole Freezer Friendly?
Yes! A big yes! The ham will give off a bit of liquid when thawing so your sauce might thin a bit, but it’ll freeze just fine.
Freeze it in portions in freezer-friendly dishes, and to reheat it, pop it into oven-safe dishes and heat from thawed at 350-F until heated through. Alternatively, heat it in the microwave from thawed.
Like This? Also Try:
- Chicken Taco Casserole – a fiesta on a plate!
- King Ranch Casserole – a Southern favorite
- Creamy Country Chicken – loaded with veggies
- Loaded Keto Chicken Cauliflower Casserole
- Keto Butter Chicken
Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole
- 3/4 pound chicken breast diced
- 2 cups ham diced
- 1 pound asparagus cleaned and trimmed
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the chicken and sautee it in a skillet with 1 tbsp of butter. Cook until golden brown. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the cream and cream cheese. Heat over low temperature until the cream cheese has melted into the cream.
- Add the diced ham and asparagus. Bring back to a simmer then turn off the heat and add the red bell pepper.
- Thicken the sauce with 1/2 tsp of xantham gum. Remember, this thickens as it sits so give it a few minutes before adding more.
- Pour the contents into an oven-safe casserole dish and cover with 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375-F for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. The chicken should be cooked to a minimum temperature of 165-F.
- Serve and enjoy!