When you’ve got leftover ham to use up or you’re just in the mood for a creamy casserole that’s filled with amazing flavors, this Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole is the dish for you! Follow along and I’ll share with you my tips and tricks to make this creamy and delish keto casserole that you can enjoy for dinner tonight!
I came up with this recipe when I had a few chicken breasts to use up, along with a chunk of ham and some asparagus. I know that those flavors play nicely together, but I really needed to stretch the ingredients a bit to feed my hungry crew.
The results were amazing. This casserole is creamy, the ham gives it a lovely flavor without overwhelming the dish, and the asparagus adds a bright note that blends perfectly.
And the sauce. OMGee it is so good! I literally licked my plate. Are you ready for flavor? Read on!
Join our Facebook group for friendly keto support, and for videos on how to make these recipes, subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Jump-start your keto success! Grab a copy of my 4-week Easy Keto Menu Plan or check out my other cookbooks to help you along
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosures.
What You Need to Make Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole
- Cutting board – you’re cutting chicken so go with a plastic cutting board (much more sanitary because they’re easier to thoroughly wash)
- Good knife – you know I’m in love with Henkles knives, right?
- Measuring cup
- Cheese grater
- Casserole dish
How to Make This Keto Casserole Recipe
- Cut the chicken into chunks, dice the ham, clean and cut the asparagus, and clean and dice the red bell pepper. Chop the garlic.
- Brown the chicken in the butter until most of the way cooked. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the red bell pepper) and bring to a simmer.
- Add the red bell pepper and put the contents into a casserole dish.
- Top with cheddar and bake!
- Using boneless chicken breast makes this dish an easy weeknight fix.
- Use a separate cutting board for the chicken and the veggies to keep things sanitary.
- The sauce will thicken a bit as it stands but unless you thicken it with xantham gum the sauce will be really quite thin.
- I used old cheddar but feel free to use what you have!
- Use a good quality ham – deli ham is sliced too thin, unless you ask them to cut you a chunk instead of slicing it.
- Make sure you wash the asparagus really well – you don’t want grit in your casserole!
What to Serve with Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole
I love this keto casserole recipe with a lovely fresh and green salad, but you could also just serve it with chunked up fresh veggies. Zucchini Spaghetti is another easy side dish. I make rice for the non-keto hubby and kids to eat with it.
And for dessert, check out this amazing Keto Zucchini Banana Bread!
Is This Keto Casserole Recipe Freezer Friendly?
Yes! A big yes! The ham will give off a bit of liquid when thawing so your sauce might thin a bit, but it’ll freeze just fine.
Freeze it in portions in freezer-friendly dishes, and to reheat it, pop it into oven-safe dishes and heat from thawed at 350-F until heated through. Alternatively, heat it in the microwave from thawed.
Like This? Also Try:
- Chicken Taco Casserole – a fiesta on a plate!
- King Ranch Casserole – a Southern favorite
- Creamy Country Chicken – loaded with veggies
- Loaded Keto Chicken Cauliflower Casserole
- Keto Butter Chicken
Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole
- 3/4 pound chicken breast diced
- 2 cups ham diced
- 1 pound asparagus cleaned and trimmed
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the chicken and sautee it in a skillet with 1 tbsp of butter. Cook until golden brown. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the cream and cream cheese. Heat over low temperature until the cream cheese has melted into the cream.
- Add the diced ham and asparagus. Bring back to a simmer then turn off the heat and add the red bell pepper.
- Thicken the sauce with 1/2 tsp of xantham gum. Remember, this thickens as it sits so give it a few minutes before adding more.
- Pour the contents into an oven-safe casserole dish and cover with 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375-F for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. The chicken should be cooked to a minimum temperature of 165-F.
- Serve and enjoy!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
8 thoughts on “Creamy Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole”
Delicious, creamy and cheesy and awesome combination too. I love your recipe. Thanks.
This looks soooo cheesy and gooey and delicious- I can easily give up carbs but not cheese! Definitely the recipe for me!
This casserole looks so creamy and mouth watering! I’m definitely pinning so I can make it later.
I made this the other day and it went over so well with the family we will be making it again soon. Excellent flavor and great directions.
This casserole looks so creamy and delicious. I wonder if I can do it without the ham?
You certainly could make it without the ham – happy cooking!
I’m not following the keto diet myself, but my wife is and she made this recipe. It was absolutely delicious! Rich flavor, warm creamy sauce… I had it with rice and it was fabulous!
What a lovely dish – so delicious!