This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
When you’ve got leftover ham to use up or you’re just in the mood for a creamy casserole that’s filled with amazing flavors, this Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole is the dish for you!
I came up with this recipe when I had a few chicken breasts to use up, along with a chunk of ham and some asparagus. I know that those flavors play nicely together, but I really needed to stretch the ingredients a bit to feed my hungry crew.
The results were amazing. This casserole is creamy, the ham gives it a lovely flavor without overwhelming the dish, and the asparagus adds a bright note that blends perfectly.
And the sauce. OMGee it is so good! I literally licked my plate.
What You Need to Make Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole
- Cutting board – you’re cutting chicken so go with a plastic cutting board (much more sanitary because they’re easier to thoroughly wash)
- Good knife – you know I’m in love with Henkles knives, right?
- Measuring cup
- Cheese grater
- Casserole dish
How to Make This Keto Casserole Recipe
- Cut the chicken into chunks, dice the ham, clean and cut the asparagus, and clean and dice the red bell pepper. Chop the garlic.
- Brown the chicken in the butter until most of the way cooked. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the red bell pepper) and bring to a simmer.
- Add the red bell pepper and put the contents into a casserole dish.
- Top with cheddar and bake!
- Using boneless chicken breast makes this dish an easy weeknight fix.
- Use a separate cutting board for the chicken and the veggies to keep things sanitary.
- The sauce will thicken a bit as it stands but unless you thicken it with xantham gum the sauce will be really quite thin.
- I used old cheddar but feel free to use what you have!
- Use a good quality ham – deli ham is sliced too thin, unless you ask them to cut you a chunk instead of slicing it.
- Make sure you wash the asparagus really well – you don’t want grit in your casserole!
What to Serve with Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole
I love this keto casserole recipe with a lovely fresh and green salad, but you could also just serve it with chunked up fresh veggies. Zucchini Spaghetti is another easy side dish. I make rice for the non-keto hubby and kids to eat with it.
And for dessert, check out this amazing Keto Zucchini Banana Bread!
Is This Casserole Freezer Friendly?
Yes! A big yes! The ham will give off a bit of liquid when thawing so your sauce might thin a bit, but it’ll freeze just fine.
Freeze it in portions in freezer-friendly dishes, and to reheat it, pop it into oven-safe dishes and heat from thawed at 350-F until heated through. Alternatively, heat it in the microwave from thawed.
Like This? Also Try:
- Chicken Taco Casserole – a fiesta on a plate!
- King Ranch Casserole – a Southern favorite
- Creamy Country Chicken – loaded with veggies
- Loaded Keto Chicken Cauliflower Casserole
Creamy and with a sauce that'll have you licking your plate, this amazing Chicken, Ham & Asparagus Casserole is a family favorite!
- 3/4 pound chicken breast, diced
- 2 cups ham, diced
- 1 pound asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp xantham gum
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice the chicken and sautee it in a skillet with 1 tbsp of butter. Cook until golden brown. Add the minced garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the cream and cream cheese. Heat over low temperature until the cream cheese has melted into the cream.
- Add the diced ham and asparagus. Bring back to a simmer then turn off the heat and add the red bell pepper.
- Thicken the sauce with 1/2 tsp of xantham gum. Remember, this thickens as it sits so give it a few minutes before adding more.
- Pour the contents into an oven-safe casserole dish and cover with 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 375-F for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. The chicken should be cooked to a minimum temperature of 165-F.
- Serve and enjoy!
Use xantham gum sparingly as it thickens as it sits. Start with 1/2 tsp. Alternatively, thicken with a slurry of 1 tbsp cornstarch and 2 tbsp of cold water. Add about 1 carb per serving (total of 7 extra carbs for 1 tbsp of cornstarch).
Serving Size:3/4 cup serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 629mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 30g
All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered via Nutrifox, when available, or other similar online calculators. Nutrition values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but readers should make their own calculations if exact calculations are required. Recipe authors are not nutritionists or dieticians and recipes are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. Please consult your primary doctor before making any changes to your diet.