Loaded with big, beefy chunks and plenty of veggies, this is like your Sunday roast supper on a spoon! You’ll love all the flavors in this amazing soup, making Beef Pot Roast Soup a must-try for any ketoer!
This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Hearty, chunky, and with just a few net carbs per serving, this low-carb and keto Beef Pot Roast Soup is a meal you can really sink your spoon into!
Back when I owned my own business, we’d make two to three soups from scratch a day. To be honest, this was in Central Texas where the weather never got particularly cold, and where the demand for hot soup wasn’t ever as high as it is in some northern cities.
However, there was one soup that we’d almost always sell out of: Beef Pot Roast Soup. This soup is SO flavorful and filled with SO much chunky goodness, it is a hearty meal in a bowl.
This keto Beef Pot Roast Soup is also pretty forgiving.
See the Chef’s Tips below for ideas on how to change things up, or stick with my basic recipe, and if you want to try something else equally beefy, check out the Beefiest Beef Stew on the Planet, or for a tasty twist on a classic, try this Beef Goulash with Sauerkraut.
HOw to Make Beef Pot Roast Soup Recipe
I use stewing beef in this recipe, but I cut the cubes up small so that they’re easier to eat and so that they cook faster, but you can also use ground beef or another cut of beef.
Brown the beef right in the pot you’re going to cook the soup in – it all adds flavor! Make sure you’ve got a heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven to cook this in so it doesn’t burn.
Then, add diced onion, carrots (skip the carrots if you’re strict keto), celery, and garlic, and let those cook for a few minutes.
Everything then goes into the pot, except for the mushrooms. Those I add for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking time.
Let it simmer until the beef is tender, then add the mushrooms and let simmer for a few minutes.
Finally, season it with salt and pepper, and that’s it!
For my non-carb family, I’ll add frozen peas to the soup and if they’re being nice to me I’ll even cook up some barley for them to add to their soup. Barley is a big carb, though, so if you’re keto, stay away from the barley!
How To Make Beef Pot Roast Soup in an Instant Pot
This keto Beef Pot Roast Soup can be cooked in an Instant Pot. Here’s how:
- Brown the beef on the sautee setting.
- Add all the other ingredients, except for the mushrooms.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes on high.
- Normal release for 10 minutes, then manual release (carefully!).
- Add the mushrooms to the soup, and put it on sautee for 3-4 minutes and let the mixture boil to cook the mushrooms.
- Season and serve!
Chef Jenn’s Tips
- For a faster cooking soup, use 1/2-3/4 pound ground beef.
- Add all your favorite veggies to this soup, not just the ones in the recipe!
IS Beef Pot Roast Soup Freezer Friendly?
It sure is! Simply chill the soup thoroughly before popping it into the freezer for up to three months.
My favorite way to freeze saucy and soupy recipes is by using Souper Cubes! These amazing freezer-safe cubes are perfect for freezing portions of all my favorite soups, stews, and other saucy meals. I freeze them then pop them out and put the rectangular frozen blocks into a zipper-top freezer bag. It makes storing them SOOOO much easier!
Where can you find these Soup Cubes? You can order them from Souper Cubes – how cool is this?
To reheat, thaw it in the fridge overnight, then heat it slowly in a pot on the stove or in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave.
What to Serve With This Dish
Like This? Also Try:
- Mexican Turkey Soup
- Beef & Sauerkraut Goulash
- Cream of Roasted Broccoli Soup
- Keto Meatloaf
- and be sure to check out my cookbooks!
Step By Step Process
Beef Pot Roast Soup
- Cut the stew beef into small chunks. Working in batches, brown the stew beef in a skillet over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Set aside.
- In the same skillet and with 1 tsp of oil, sautee the garlic, onions, carrot, celery, and turnips. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Put the beef, veggies, diced tomatoes and liquid, beef broth, bay leaf and 1 tsp of dried thyme into a soup pot. Simmer covered for 20-30 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the lid and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Season to your liking with the salt and pepper, remove the bay leaf, and serve!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
HUNGRY FOR MORE Easy Keto Recipes?
I’m always messing around in the kitchen creating new recipes, but these are some of my favorite all-time picks that I make again and again: