This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
When you’re in the mood for something easy AND tasty for lunch but don’t want a lot of hassle, a Keto French Dip Chaffwich may be just what you need!
This recipe is a ketoized version of a HUGELY popular sandwich we’d make when I had my deli. We have perfected the art of making the French Dip, and turning it keto was as simple as swapping out the bread to make a chaffwich.
What’s a chaffwich? A chaffwich is a sandwich made with a chaffle! If you’ve got a Dash mini waffle maker, then you’re most of the way there to making a scrumptious lunch. Read on, and I’ll show you how to make this easy and flavorful quick lunch or light supper.
What’s a Dash Mini Waffle Maker?
Perfect for making chaffles, a combination of cheese and waffle, chaffles took the keto world by storm. A simple batter is made from eggs, cheese, and a few other ingredients (see recipe card below) and they cook up light and crispy in a Dash mini waffle maker.
This appliance is tiny! It’ll tuck away nicely in a drawer, so it won’t take up much space.
And, it’s affordable. Amazon sells Dash products pretty cheaply.
What You Need to Make a Keto French Dip Chaffwich
- A Dash mini waffle maker or something similar
- Tongs – chaffles are hot! Use tongs to get them out safely.
- Mixing bowl – stackable stainless steel bowls are GENIUS! They clean up quickly and are indestructible.
- Small pot or skillet
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon – any soup spoon will do
Ingredients to Make a Keto French Dip Chaffwich
- deli sliced roast beef or leftover roast beef
- egg whites
- almond flour
- mozzarella cheese
- sour cream
- low sodium beef broth
- (optional) Swiss or provolone cheese
How to Make a Keto French Dip Chaffwich
There are really two steps to making a keto French Dip Chaffwich.
- Make the chaffle.
- Heat the roast beef in the warmed broth.
That’s it! Super simple.
Chef Jenn’s Tips
- Chaffles can be made ahead of time. Cook them, cool them, and then reheat them in the toaster or in the mini waffle maker for a few minutes before assembling the sandwich.
- Au jus packets are loaded with sodium and hidden carbs. Just look at the ingredient label. Ouch! Instead, use low sodium beef broth for dipping and skip the carbs and extra sodium.
- Some French dip sandwiches are served with a smear of mayo and melted cheese. This is optional and up to you. I’ve even seen some with horseradish on them.
What To Serve With a Keto French Dip Chaffwich
Or, serve your chaffwich with a salad. A small Cobb Salad is a great pick.
Will A Keto French Dip Chaffwich Freeze?
You can freeze chaffles (and toast them in the toaster before using) and you can freeze the beef in the broth. I wouldn’t freeze assembled chaffwiches, though, as they’d turn into a soggy mess during heating.
There are 4 net carbs in this dish.
You can use a regular waffle maker – just use all the batter and then cut the waffle in half.
You can use thinly sliced roast beef from your deli, or use thinly sliced leftover roast beef. Pulled beef or beef from a pot roast cooked in the slow cooker would also work.
Like This? ALso Try:
Step By Step Process
Say goodbye to boring lunches and say hello to this quick, easy, and full of flavor Keto French Dip Chaffwich!
- 4 ounces roast beef
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- To prepare the chaffle, whip the egg white until frothy. Add the sour cream and almond flour and blend well. Mix in the cheese.
- Preheat the mini waffle maker as per manufacturer's directions. When hot, add half the batter and cook for 7-10 minutes or until the chaffle is golden brown and releases easily. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, warm the beef broth in a small skillet or pot. Add the sliced beef to heat through - but don't over cook it!
- To assemble, place the drained beef on the chaffle, top with cheese (optional) and serve with the remaining broth on the side.
Serving Size:1 chaffwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 444Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 1678mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 45g
All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered via Nutrifox, when available, or other similar online calculators. Nutrition values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but readers should make their own calculations if exact calculations are required. Recipe authors are not nutritionists or dieticians and recipes are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. Please consult your primary doctor before making any changes to your diet.