This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
With this super easy and totally tasty Instant Pot Sauerkruat & Sausage recipe, you can have something delicious on the table in no time!
Everyone is pressed for time these days, making staying on your keto diet a challenge. But, with this tasty keto Instant Pot dump-and-go recipe, you can get it set up and be eating in hardly any time.
And, this recipe is easily scaled to feed more people. I used one jar of sauerkraut and four bratwurst sausages, about a pound. This easily served four of us for dinner.
Ready to get started?
How To Cook Keto Saurkraut & Sausage
Gather your ingredients:
Good bratwurst sausage – you want a good, meaty and not too fatty sausage for this recipe
Sauerkraut – by the can or by the jar, drain it and squeeze it to remove most of the liquid. I’ll even give it a quick rinse (and another squeeze) to remove much of the sourness. Believe me, there’s still plenty of flavor.
Onion – about 1/2 a yellow or white onion, sliced
Garlic – two or three cloves should do it
Bay leaf – I toss one in because it adds great flavor
Water – you need a cup of water to keep it all working
Salt and pepper – that’s it!
It all goes into the Instant Pot! Add the water first, then the drained and squeezed sauerkraut, then finally, the seasoning and sausage.
No Instant Pot? No worries! This easy-peasy dish can also be made in the oven. Here’s how:
- Drain and squeeze your sauerkraut.
- Slice the onion and mince the garlic. Toss them with the saurkraut and add the salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Layer the sauerkraut on the bottom of an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup of water over the top of the sauerkraut (or use Chicken Broth for extra flavor).
- Place the sausage on top, cover with foil, and bake at 350-F for about an hour.
- Use a good quality bratwurst sausage that’s not too fatty. Read the ingredient label to watch for hidden starches or sugars.
- Change up the flavor by using Italian sausage or even smoked sausage.
- This Instant Pot Sauerkraut & Sausage recipe can easily be doubled for keto meal prep or to freeze for another meal.
- This dish is perfect for keto meal prepping. It is easy to make, makes about four servings, and heats easily for lunches or dinners.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Sauerkraut & Sausage
This isn’t the prettiest recipe I’ve ever made, but it sure has plenty of flavor. You can jazz up the look of your plate with a colorful veg like Swiss Chard with Garlic, or go simple with Zucchini Noodles.
Is This Keto Instant Pot Sauerkraut & Sausage Recipe Freezable?
Yes! This easy Instant Pot keto recipe will do just fine in the freezer.
To freeze, chill the cooked dish overnight in the fridge. Then, portion it into single-serve (or however servings you need) portions and place it in freezer-safe plastic bags or containers.
I prefer to use plastic bags (which I recycle when finished). This allows me to press out excess air, which we all know is bad when freezing.
Air can cause freezer burn on food, which is still safe to eat, but the flavor and appearance will be off a bit.
To reheat, simply thaw it overnight in the fridge, then heat it in a covered oven-safe dish or i the microwave until heated through.
Like This? Also Try:
- Italian Chicken Stew aka Chicken Cacciatore
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Beefy Pot Roast Soup (with IP directions)
Easy and tasty, this dump-and-go Instant Pot keto Sauerkraut & Sausage recipe is going to save your weeknight dinners!
- 32 ounce jar sauerkraut
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- Drain and rinse the sauerkraut. Give it a light squeeze to remove most of the water. You don't want it bone dry. Mix the sauerkraut with the onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add the sauerkraut in a single layer on the bottom of the IP.
- Cut the sauerkraut into chunks and place it on top of the sauerkraut.
- Seal the IP. Cook it on Pressure Cook high for 15 minutes.
- Natural release for 10 minutes, then manual release. Enjoy!