Everybody knows about broccoli and cheese soup, but did you know that roasting the broccoli first and then making a Cream of Roasted Broccoli Soup results in AMAZING flavors? Follow me, Chef Jenn, as I show you all my chef tips and tricks to make this amazing keto broccoli soup recipe perfectly every time!
Well, it does, and this easy to make soup also freezes well, so make some for lunch or dinner and freeze the rest for another night!
This is an easy soup to make, and, you can roast twice the broccoli and enjoy some with a meal and then make the rest into soup!
If you’re looking for a simple Oven Roasted Broccoli recipe you can make that, but the added touch of whole garlic cloves and a shallot (or onion) help make this soup extra special.
An immersion blender is a hand-held device that you stick into the pot to puree the contents. I LOVE my immersion blender and use it all the time. It’s not as good as a Vitamix, but if you can’t afford that Cadillac, an immersion blender is a much more affordable and easy-to-use alternative.
How to Make Cream of Roasted Broccoli Soup
Start by roasting that broccoli.
Trim off the knobby end, and peel off some of the tough outer stalks.
Then, cut your broccoli lengthwise (to get the most surface area for roasting), smash a few garlic cloves, cut a shallot (or a very small onion), and drizzle it all with a combination of melted butter and garlic.
Add some salt and pepper, and roast that batch of yumminess for about 15-20 minutes at 425-F.
Once your broccoli has roasted and has some lovely golden-brown color, you need to simmer it to make sure it is really soft.
Save a few broccoli florets to garnish your soup (just set them aside).
Add the roasted broccoli, shallot, and garlic to a pot, add 4 cups of chicken broth, and simmer it on low for about 20 minutes until the broccoli is REALLY tender/soft. This will help you get a nice smooth puree.
Grab your trusty immersion blender and blend the broth, broccoli, garlic, and shallot until smooth. Add 1 cup of heavy cream, season with salt and pepper, top with a few of the reserved broccoli florets, and serve!
step By Step Process
Cream of Roasted Broccoli Soup (Keto, Low-Carb)
- 1 pound broccoli stems and crown
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed
- 4 cups no-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Trim about one inch off the end of the broccoli stalk, then peel away some of the stem near the cut end. It is tough and fibrous and won’t puree nicely. Peel and smash the garlic with the flat side of a knife or chop it roughly. Peel and quarter the shallot or a small onion.
- Melt the butter and olive oil.
- Arrange the broccoli, shallot, and garlic on a sheet pan. Drizzle with the melted butter-oil mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast in a 425-F oven for about 20 minutes.
- Scrape all the broccoli, garlic, and shallot and any pan juices into a pot (save a few broccoli florets to garnish the soup.) Add 4 cups of low- or no-salt added chicken broth. Simmer over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes or until the broccoli is super-soft.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the broccoli, garlic, shallot, and broth until smooth. Alternatively, you can puree it in a blender.
- Add one cup of cream, and heat the soup to barely simmering. Adjust the salt and pepper, top with a bit of the reserved chopped broccoli florets, and serve!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.