This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Lunch time can be a pitfall of temptations if you work out of the house, with fast food, co-workers bringing in treats, or just being too rushed in the mornings to make a healthy keto/low-carb meal. But, with Sub in a Tub, you can meal prep this satisfying and fabulous lunch ahead of time, and never have to worry about lunchtime derailment again!
Sub in a Tub – the Perfect Meal Prep Recipe
This riff on Jersey Mike’s original sub in a tub takes amazing meats, veggies, cheeses and sauces and layers them into a meal prep container, so that you just need to grab and go on a busy morning.
They keep just fine for a few days in the fridge, but if you need to store them longer, package the sauces separately so that the veggies don’t sog out.
Honestly, I think it tastes even better the next day (or a few days later) because the flavors have had a chance to really develop.
No more soggy buns! With this Sub in a Tub lunch or dinner idea, you never have to worry about what to eat!
How to Make Sub in a Tub
- Get some meal prep containers. I use cute glass ones that I found at Costco, but any will do. These reusable meal prep containers are dishwasher safe and just fine.
- Layer in your ingredients, starting with the meats and end with the sauces.
- Package the sauces separately if you can’t eat it within a day or two.
Sub in a Tub Variations
- Turn it into a Cobb Sub in a Tub with hard-boiled egg, blue cheese, and leftover rotisserie chicken
- Go Southwestern with grilled chicken, black soy beans, and this Creamy Jalapeno Dip that is also an amazing dressing
- Try an old-school deli favorite with sliced roast beef, a creamy horseradish, and lots of crunchy veggies
- Enjoy a taste of the Mediterranean with a scoop of this Mediterranean Tuna Salad plus crunchy red bell peppers, cucumbers, and a few capers
- Use what you’ve got! Don’t worry about buying fancy ingredients for this dish – it can be as humble or as gourmet as you like.
- The recipe below is pretty simple, but you can change up the cheeses (think about feta, blue cheese, sharp cheddar), switch up the meats, add different veggies (olives, baby kale or spinach, jicama), and add whatever sauces and dressings you like.
- Add a pinch of your favorite Italian or Greek dried spices at the end, or a pinch of salt and a grind or two of pepper.
Like This? Also Try:
Make lunchtime fabulous with this easy and tasty Sub in a Tub! Perfect for meal prepping, make a few and you've got lunch all week long!
- 3 ounces ham
- 3 ounces turkey
- 3 ounces roasted chicken
- 1/2 cup lettuce
- 3 ounces provolone cheese
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp Italian dressing
- Divide the meat in half and start to build two meal prep containers. Layer in the meat.
- Add the lettuce and your veggies, top with cheese and sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size:1/2 of everything
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 626Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 31gCholesterol: 147mgSodium: 1258mgCarbohydrates: 5gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 43g
All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered via Nutrifox, when available, or other similar online calculators. Nutrition values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but readers should make their own calculations if exact calculations are required. Recipe authors are not nutritionists or dieticians and recipes are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. Please consult your primary doctor before making any changes to your diet.