This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Roll up your sleeves and dig into this totally keto and totally tasty keto King Ranch Chicken Casserole. This is another Southern favorite, just like my Southern Green Beans, Tex-Mex Beef Casserole, and Al Pastor Pork Carnitas.
Full of flavor, and with none of the carbs, this recipe is a true keeper.
Before you go freaking out at the length of the ingredient list, remember that there are as many variations of this dish as there are BBQs in the South, and it is usually made with a can of cream of mushroom soup (not keto), a can of cream of chicken soup (not keto) and a bunch of other shortcuts.
I’ve taken all the flavors in this hearty dish and made it from scratch, doing all the work in figuring things out, so that you can make it, eat it, and feel great about your keto dinner!
How to Make Keto King Ranch Chicken Casserole
If you’ve got a Dutch-oven or oven-safe stovetop-to-oven dish, this can be a one-pot keto recipe. You make the sauce in the pot, load in the chicken, and then bake it all in the oven until it is hot, bubbly, and ooey-gooey cheesy goodness. That’s it!
Save yourself some time by using a rotisserie chicken, or use leftover baked chicken breasts, thighs, or whatever you’ve got.
You need a fair bit of chicken (4-5 cups), or you can easily halve this recipe to make a smaller amount. As it is, my family of four got two whole meals out of this. So, it’s a winner for keto meal prep, too!
You can thicken this dish with a 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum if you like, or leave it as-is. Don’t worry if it is a bit runny right out of the oven – it thickens up a bit as it sets.
- Grab a whole rotisserie chicken from the supermarket to make this dish easy-peasy
- Add a chopped jalapeno if you want to add a bit more kick
- To cut down on the number of spices in this recipe, I used three heaping tablespoons of my Taco Seasoning, or use your own blend
- This dish can be prepped right up to baking and can be made a few days ahead of time
What To Serve with Keto King Ranch Casserole
This is such a hearty meal that you really don’t need much with it, except for maybe a salad, and if you want something crunchy, try these Cheesy Keto Crackers. And, if you’re craving something sweet for dessert, check out Kasey’s Low Carb Chocolate Mousse!
Like This? Also Try:
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Keto Shrimp Scampi
- and be sure to check out my cookbook page!
Creamy, cheesy, and with big chunks of tender chicken, this low carb and keto King Ranch Casserole is a Southern favorite, and it's comfort in a bowl!
- 5 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounce Rotel tomatoes with Chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cilantro. chopped
- In a large oven-safe Dutch oven or skillet, heat the 2 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat and sautee the mushrooms and onions until just tender. About 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and cream cheese. Lower the heat and combine well until the cream cheese has dissolved. Add the can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies.
- Add the 3 tbsp of taco spice, diced red bell peppers, diced green onions and chicken. Remove from the heat and add the 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Season with the 1 tsp of salt or to taste.
- Mix in the 1 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream.
- If you need to move the mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish, do that now. If it is already in an oven-safe dish, continue to step 6.
- Top with remaining Monterey Jack cheese and bake in a pre-heated 375-F oven until hot and bubbly (about 20 minutes but could be more or less depending on the size of your casserole dish.
- Garnish with some chopped cilantro, and dig in!
You can thicken this dish with a 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum if you like, or leave it as-is. Don't worry if it is a bit runny right out of the oven - it thickens up a bit as it sets.
Serving Size:3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 749mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g