This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Loaded with keto-friendly veggies and a sauce that’ll have you licking your plate, this tasty Creamy Country Chicken recipe is a keeper! Made with succulent on-the-bone chicken thighs, you can have this dish on the table in about 30 minutes.
What are you waiting for? Get started!
What Inspired the Creamy country Chicken Recipe?
“I feel like chicken tonight, chicken tonight.”
Do you remember that catchy advertising campaign YEARS ago for a skillet sauce to turn chicken dishes from ho-hum into wow?
Well, this recipe was inspired by one of those skillet sauces. Not an exact match, this keto chicken recipe is tastier, and keto! But, the concept is still the same, making this a one-pot keto recipe you can hang on to!
It’s one of my favorites, right up there with another chicken dish, Instant Pot Italian Chicken Stew.
How to Make this Keto Chicken Dish
You need a big skillet with a lid for this dish. This is the skillet and lid combo I recommend. It has plenty of surface area for browning the chicken and sauteeing the veg. The lid fits on snugly, which is important because you need to finish cooking the chicken.
There are just a few steps to this easy keto chicken recipe. Brown the meat, sautee the veg, make the sauce, finish cooking the chicken. You can feast on a fabulous dinner in no time!
- I used skin-on bone-in thighs for the flavor, but you can use skinless and boneless, just reduce the cooking time for breast meat, but don’t over-cook it or it’ll get stringy.
- Customize this dish with all your favorite keto veggies, and feel free to avoid any you don’t like.
- Add the cream at the last minute and just heat it through.
- If you want to thicken the sauce slightly, add 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum. This crazy stuff thickens as it sits, so don’t add too much or it gets slimy!
- Omit the carrots if you’re doing strict keto
What to Serve with This Creamy country chicken Dish
You’ll want to serve a simple veggie with this recipe, like steamed broccoli, pan-fried green beans, or this trusty recipe for Zucchini Noodles.
Don’t over-complicate the meal! The main dish has so much flavor-don’t have your side dish compete with it.
For my non-keto family, I serve this dish with rice or noodles.
Is Creamy Country Chicken Freezable?
Yes! You can freeze and thaw this dish with no problems. And, you have a few options.
- Prepare everything right up to the point of finishing cooking the chicken in the skillet. Chill it completely in the fridge overnight, then put the entire batch into a freezer-safe dish and freeze for up to three months.
- Finish cooking the dish, then chill it completely and freeze for up to three months.
Option 1 is going to be kinder on the veggies. They’ll retain more of their crunch because they won’t have been cooked quite so long. But, the chicken will be still raw so you have to be sure to thoroughly cook it, bringing the internal temperature of the chicken up to a safe 165-F.
Like This? Also Try:
- Chicken Taco Casserole
- Lemon-Oregano Chicken Kabobs
- Greek Chicken Meatballs
- and be sure to check out my cookbooks!
With big, tender chicken thighs and a sauce that'll have you licking your plate clean, this easy keto chicken recipe is home-style cooking at its finest!
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 6 ounces green beans
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
1. Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towel (to reduce oil spits), and season well with the salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Starting skin side down, brown the chicken thighs for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Remove all but 1 tbsp of the chicken fat from the pan. Add the chopped onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sautee for 3-4 minutes until softened slightly. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Put the chicken back in the skillet. Add the chopped green beans, chicken stock, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 12-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the internal temperature is 165-F.
4. Remove the lid and add the cream. Bring back to a simmer and let cook for 2-3 minutes with the lid off to condense the flavors. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with your favorite veggies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 556Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 267mgSodium: 564mgCarbohydrates: 11gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 45g
All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered via Nutrifox, when available, or other similar online calculators. Nutrition values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but readers should make their own calculations if exact calculations are required. Recipe authors are not nutritionists or dieticians and recipes are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. Please consult your primary doctor before making any changes to your diet.