There’s nothing meatier, chunkier, or tastier than a big bowlful of chili, and this Texas-Style Keto Chili Recipe is all that and more.
Loaded with flavor and none of the carbs, this slow cooker chili recipe is easy to put together, and then with the magic of a slow cooker, you can set it and forget it until it is tender and delicious and ready to eat. Hungry? Let’s get started!
What You Need To Make This Keto Chili Recipe
- Beef stew meat
- Crushed tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Chili powder – homemade is best!
- Beef broth
- Xanthan gum – optional – for thickening the sauce
How to Make Keto Texas Style Chili
- Brown the bacon in a skillet and reserve the fat.
- Sautee the onion and garlic in a bit of the reserved fat, then pop it into the slow cooker.
- Season and brown the stew beef chunks in the remaining bacon fat.
- Cook the spices in the skillet in the leftover fat then deglaze with the beef stock.
- Add everything to the slow cooker and cook until tender!
Chef Jenn’s tips to Make This Easy Chili recipe
- Stew meat often comes already cut into chunks, but the chunks can be big! Cut them a bit smaller if necessary, so they’re more bite-sized.
- The best chili comes from the freshest and best spices. Use my homemade Chili Powder to add a punch of flavor to your chili.
- Want it spicier? Add a 1/2 tsp of cayenne to the slow cooker, or even a tsp of chipotle powder.
- Get a good brown sear on the meat – it adds loads of flavor!
- Don’t forget to deglaze the skillet with the beef broth after searing the beef. This means add about 1/2 cup of beef broth to the skillet you cooked the beef in, stirring it over high heat to loosen all the tasty bits. This goes into the slow cooker, too.
What To Serve With The Best Keto Chili Recipe
This tasty Texas-style chili recipe can be served with all your favorites including a hearty salad or try a side of this riced broccoli.
Garnish your keto chiili with a dollop of sour cream, some shredded cheddar cheese, even some jalapeno slices.
Or, amp up the flavor with some of this Creamy Jalapeno Dip instead of sour cream on top.
How To Store Your Chilli Recipe
Chili tastes better the next day, so keep the leftovers in the fridge for another meal or two. Just keep it tightly wrapped/covered and it’ll be fine.
This keto chilli also freezes fabulously. Simply put it into a freezer-safe container and freeze it for up to three months.
To reheat, thaw it and then pop it into the microwave or into a saucepan and heat it up before eating.
It sure can be! This keto chili recipe is made with tender chunks of stew meat and a flavorful sauce. There are no beans and no starchy thickeners, so it is totally keto!
It is a relatively low fat dish that, when made with no beans, is also low carb making it a high protein dish that’s also good for you.
Both black soybeans and lupini beans (lupin beans) are relatively low in carbs making them good dirty keto bean alternatives.
Like This? Also Try?
Or, check out this keto White Chicken Chili recipe for a different flavor combination!
Step By Step Process
Easy Keto Chili
- 2 lbs stewing beef cut into small cubes
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes canned
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum optional
- Fry the bacon in a skillet and remove most of the fat – save it for browning the beef.
- Add the onions and garlic to the bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes more until the bacon is crispy and the onions are soft. Scrape all this into the slow cooker.
- Working in batches and using the remaining bacon fat – adding oil if you run out of fat – season the beef cubes and sear them in the fat. 2-3 minutes per side until nice and brown but not fully cooked. Put the beef into the slow cooker.
- When you've finished searing the beef, toast the spices in the same skillet. Just put the spices in the skillet and stir them around over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add 1/2 cup of beef stock to the skillet to deglaze the pan. Pour all of this into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients – the crushed tomatoes, beef broth, tomato paste, and any leftover pan juices or bacon fat to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours, or on low for 6.
- When the meat is tender, season with salt and pepper and thicken with 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before adding up to 1/4 tsp more.
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
There are lots more keto recipes to fall in love with, especially if you like using a slow cooker or Instant Pot. This Instant Pot sauerkraut and sausage dish is an easy set-it-and-forget-it dish, or you can treat yourself to an amazing veggie-packed soup. This riff on a classic Chinese soup is always tasty, or for breakfast, dig into these tasty egg bites.