This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is a classic keto and low-carb recipe, and it is also an easy and tasty dish that comes together in no time, making it a great choice for weeknight dinners.
I”m not sure who came up with this recipe, but my hat’s off to you! It’s simple, easy, and full of flavor. There are a few tips (listed below) to help you nail this recipe, but it’s pretty tough to screw up.
What You Need to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
Large Skillet – Use a big one. It’s all going into one pot.
Ground Pork – Lean ground pork is my choice of meat for this dish.
Coleslaw Mix – Don’t get the bag with the dressing, just the coleslaw blend.
Bean Sprouts (optional) – They add a few carbs but add lots of nutrition and a tasty crunch.
Soy Sauce – Or coconut aminos if you’re doing strict keto.
Ground Pork or Sausage?
Some versions of this recipe say to use sausage. However, I think that the ground pork gives a much more authentic flavor, and you’re keeping the ingredients simple.
Many commercial brands of sausage are loaded with seasonings, sodium, and even hidden starches. Keep it simple; keep it pure. Go with ground pork.
Another bonus to ground pork is that pound-for-pound, it is cheaper than sausage.
How to Make Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
It doesn’t get much easier than this:
- Brown the beef in your large skillet, along with the sesame oil.
- Add the coconut aminos and colesalw mix.
- Stir for 3-4 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked.
- Dig in!
Yup, it’s that easy!
- Ground chicken or turkey can be used in place of the ground pork.
- Jazz it up with 1-2 tbsp of finely chopped ginger and a clove of garlic.
- Chinese 5-Spice powder will add a blast of flavor, too, but only use about 1/2 tsp. It’s powerful.
- Garnish your dish with some sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
What to Serve with Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
This really is the perfect one-skillet meal, but if you want sides, go ahead and make some Cauliflower Rice. For my non-keto family, I make regular rice.
Is Egg Roll in a Bowl Freezer-Friendly?
Weellll… I won’t say no, but the nature of cabbage is to go limp and give off liquid when freezing and thawing. This dish is definitely at its best when eaten fresh.
If you do freeze it, invest in a vacuum sealer. That’ll give this dish the best protection in the freezer. These devices suck all the air out of the bag (heavy-duty freezer-safe plastic) and protect the food.
The vacuum sealers pay for themselves in a short time by eliminating food waste. I love mine!
Like This? Also Try:
A classic keto and low carb recipe, this simple dish is delicious and full of flavor.
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 bag Coleslaw blend
- 4 tbsp coconut aminos, or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 each green onion, cleaned and sliced
- Add the sesame oil to a large skillet (big enough to hold all the coleslaw and pork). Heat it over medium heat and add the ground pork, cooking until the pink has gone. Add the soy sauce and continue cooking for two minutes.
- Add the coleslaw mix to the pork mixture and stir well to combine. Continue cooking over medium heat for about five minutes or until the cabbage is soft and all the flavors are combined. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with a few sesame seeds and a bit of sliced green onion.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 625mgCarbohydrates: 8gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 25g