Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is a classic keto and low-carb recipe, and it is also an easy and tasty dish that comes together in no time, making it a great choice for weeknight dinners. Follow me, Chef Jenn, and I’ll show you all my best tips and tricks for making this amazing easy keto bowl recipe perfectly every time!
I”m not sure who came up with this recipe, but my hat’s off to you! It’s simple, easy, and full of flavor. There are a few tips (listed below) to help you nail this recipe, but it’s pretty tough to screw up.
What You Need to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Large Skillet – Use a big one. It’s all going into one pot.
- Ground Pork – Lean ground pork is my choice of meat for this dish.
- Coleslaw Mix – Don’t get the bag with the dressing, just the coleslaw blend. Coleslaw is shredded cabbage. Wondering if cabbage is keto? Check out this article.
- Bean Sprouts (optional) – They add a few carbs but add lots of nutrition and a tasty crunch.
- Sesame Oil
- Soy Sauce – Or coconut aminos if you’re doing strict keto.
Ground Pork or Sausage?
Some versions of this recipe say to use sausage. However, I think that the ground pork gives a much more authentic flavor, and you’re keeping the ingredients simple.
Many commercial brands of sausage are loaded with seasonings, sodium, and even hidden starches. Keep it simple; keep it pure. Go with ground pork.
Another bonus to ground pork is that pound-for-pound, it is cheaper than sausage.
How to Make Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
It doesn’t get much easier than this:
- Brown the pork in your large skillet, along with the sesame oil.
- Add the coconut aminos and colesalw mix.
- Stir for 3-4 minutes or until the cabbage is cooked.
- Dig in!
Yup, it’s that easy!
- Ground chicken or turkey can be used in place of the ground pork.
- Jazz it up with 1-2 tbsp of finely chopped ginger and a clove of garlic.
- Chinese 5-Spice powder will add a blast of flavor, too, but only use about 1/2 tsp. It’s powerful.
- Garnish your dish with some sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
What to Serve with Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
This really is the perfect one-skillet meal, but if you want sides, go ahead and make some Cauliflower Rice. For my non-keto family, I make regular rice. If I need a bit more protein, I’ll nibble on a few Lemon Pepper Dry-Rub Wings,
Is Egg Roll in a Bowl Freezer-Friendly?
Weellll… I won’t say no, but the nature of cabbage is to go limp and give off liquid when freezing and thawing. This dish is definitely at its best when eaten fresh.
If you do freeze it, invest in a vacuum sealer. That’ll give this dish the best protection in the freezer. These devices suck all the air out of the bag (heavy-duty freezer-safe plastic) and protect the food.
The vacuum sealers pay for themselves in a short time by eliminating food waste. I love mine!
Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 bag Coleslaw blend
- 4 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 each green onion cleaned and sliced
- Add the sesame oil to a large skillet (big enough to hold all the coleslaw and pork). Heat it over medium heat and add the ground pork, cooking until the pink has gone. Add the soy sauce and continue cooking for two minutes.
- Add the coleslaw mix to the pork mixture and stir well to combine. Continue cooking over medium heat for about five minutes or until the cabbage is soft and all the flavors are combined. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with a few sesame seeds and a bit of sliced green onion.
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.