It’s not pretty, but boy is it quick and tasty! Cabbage Roll in a Bowl, with just a few carbs per serving, is one of those stick-to-your-ribs kinds of meals that’s ready in a jiffy! Inexpensive and delish – what’s not to love?
Cabbage Roll in a Bowl is one of those save-dinner meals. You know, the kind where you stare into the fridge wondering what to make for dinner? This is the answer to that question!
Also known as unstuffed cabbage rolls, this dish is loaded with protein and plenty of fiber-rich veggies, this is an easy and tasty meal that tastes just like cabbage rolls. But, with a fraction of the carbs, it’s a low-carb dinner recipe everyone will love. Totally keto and totally delicious; you don’t even need to be a chef to make this!
I love making this dish when I don’t have much time to make a stick-to-your-ribs meal. I serve it with noodles or potatoes for the kids, while hubby and I just chow down on the dish without additional carbs.
How to Make Cabbage Roll in a Bowl
This dish couldn’t be any easier.
- Start with the biggest skillet you’ve got. It’s all going into one skillet, so you need to start with a big pan.
- Then, brown a pound of ground beef.
- Add a bag of coleslaw shreds and chopped (or riced) cauliflower, and let that cook down a bit.
- Add dehydrated onion flakes, garlic powder, cream and this homemade keto tomato sauce. That’s it!
Make it A Meal
I serve this with regular rice for the rest of the family, then I just get a big serving of Cabbage Roll in a Bowl for myself and hubby, and then we dig in! Sometimes, I’ll add another green veggie like Skillet Braised Kale (can’t get enough fiber, right?) or Oven-Roasted Broccoli.
Chef Jenn’s Tips
- Start with lean(ish) ground beef, like 80/20. It’ll have plenty of flavor, and you won’t have a lot to drain from the skillet.
- Use a good quality tomato sauce, like this keto Oven-Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Don’t overcook the cabbage! These shreds have a tendency to cook into nothingness – just cook until the cabbage is tender-crisp
- Switch things up! Try this dish with ground pork, ground chicken, or a combination.
- This keto recipe is freezer-friendly! Freeze it in single portions for quick lunches, or freeze a whole batch for a weeknight dinner.
Freezing Cabbage Roll in a Bowl
Cabbage has a fairly high water content, so you’re going to lose some of the texture if you freeze and thaw this keto Cabbage Roll in a Bowl recipe, and it might be a bit more watery when you thaw it.
To freeze it, seal it in ziplock freezer bags in single or family-size portions and press out all the air. Freeze it for up to three months.
To thaw, allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge, or remove it from the bag, place it in a bowl and thaw it on defrost in the microwave.
Heat, covered, in the microwave, stirring every few minutes, until heated through.
Step By Step Process
Cabbage Roll in a Bowl
- Brown the ground beef in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the beef.
- Add the chopped cauliflower and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper, and dehydrated onion flakes. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook another few minutes until the cabbage is soft but not translucent.
- Add the cream and tomato sauce, mix well and heat through.
- Serve and enjoy!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.