Lightly crispy, loaded with flavor and with a touch of garlic, this Air Fryer Asparagus with Garlic is an easy fix. Read on and I, Chef Jenn, will show you all my tips and tricks to make this tasty keto side dish turn out perfectly every time!
Air fryers have revolutionized kitchens, turning intensive meal prep into a snap. This air fryer asparagus recipe is no exception, and the results are perfectly delicious. Let’s get cooking!
Asparagus in the Air Fryer?
You bet! In fact, many different veggies turn out deliciously when cooked in the air fryer.
Air fryer technology works a little different, whisking away excess moisture while using fans to keep the air circulating. The results are crispier, and in the case of asparagus, a lovely roasted flavor without the bother of heating up your oven and kitchen.
What You Need To Make Air Fryer Asparagus with Garlic
- An air fryer – I use a Cuisinart oven-style air fryer. See my notes below.
- Asparagus spears – count on about 4-6 stalks per person
- Avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
How To Choose An Air Fryer
Though prices are coming down, air fryers are still a bit of an investment. And, they take up valuable real estate in the kitchen, so choosing one to fit your needs is essential!
I picked the Cuisinart multi-function air fryer because I don’t have room in my kitchen for a one-trick pony. This is a great air fryer – it is an oven-style, so it opens at the front and the trays slide in and out. It’s also a toaster, oven, convection oven, warmer, and broiler. And air fryer, of course.
I tested out a model that turns the food over – it was a basket model – and while it did the trick with fries, it would never work with something like chicken, or in this case, asparagus.
No matter which air fryer you have or use, always refer to the manufacturers guidelines for cooking your tasty recipes!
How To make Asparagus in an Air Fryer
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus spears.
- Wash the asparagus thoroughly under running water. The brush-like tips can conceal dirt, and when you consider that asparagus grows from up under the ground, there can be all sorts of grit in there.
- Pat it dry with paper towels or give it a good shake to remove excess water.
- Toss it with avocado oil or olive oil, salt and pepper, and minced garlic.
- Set the air fryer to 400F and let it warm up a few minutes. Pop the asparagus into the air fryer and set it for 4 minutes then toss it around and air fry an additional 2-3 minutes or until the asparagus is tender crisp.
Chef Jenn’s Tips to Make Perfect Asparagus
- Wash the asparagus thoroughly! Nobody likes gritty asparagus.
- Giving the asparagus a bit of a dry will help it get toasty and roasty in the air fryer. It’ll also help the oil stick which in turn helps the salt and pepper and garlic stick.
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like it spicy!
- Adjust the garlic to suit your preference, but asparagus and garlic are a perfect match so don’t be afraid to add it!
- Cook the asparagus in a single layer if possible, to ensure even cooking.
- Don’t overcook asparagus! Asparagus comes in all thicknesses, so always check one before the time is up. It should have a bit of a crunch to it when you bite into it.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Asparagus with Garlic
A fork! Kidding not kidding! This air fryer recipe for roasted asparagus recipe is so gosh darn good, the asparagus can steal the dinner show!
I serve it hot, but it’s also delicious cold. I’ve served it alongside roasted meats like pork tenderloin or roasted chicken breast, with chicken and creamy salmon dishes, and I’ve served it on charcuterie platters.
Is This Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe Freezer Friendly?
No, not really. Technically you can freeze asparagus, but it’ll lose its lovely crunch and color when you freeze and then thaw it. For this reason, I recommend eating it fresh.
You can, however, refrigerate air fried asparagus for a few days. It’s also delicious cold, but you can reheat it in the air fryer to warm it back up.
Is Asparagus Keto?
You bet it is! Asparagus isn’t just loaded with nutrition, it’s also high in fiber and low in carbs, making it a great keto vegetable choice.
There are about 5 carbs and 2.5 net carbs per cup of asparagus, making it a great pick for keto and low-carb dieters.
Asparagus has a distinct flavor that is delicious. It’s a bit grassy in flavor, with herbal notes and a bit of sweetness.
No air fryer? No problem! You can cook this recipe in the oven. Simply pop the seasoned asparagus onto a sheet pan and cook it in a pre-heated 400-F oven for about 12 minutes. Stir it around and check for doneness, adding an extra minute or two of cooking time if they’re still too crunchy.
Like This? Also Try:
Step By Step Process
Air Fryer Asparagus with Garlic
- 1 pound asparagus ends trimmed and washed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Use paper towels to lightly dry the trimmed and washed asparagus.
- Toss the asparagus with the minced garlic, oil, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the asparagus in your air fryer and air fry at 400F for about 4 minutes. Toss and check for doneness, and continue cooking an additional minute or two until perfectly tender-crisp.
- Serve and enjoy!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Want More keto Deliciousness?
There are oodles and oodles of delish keto recipes, and the following are some of my favorites: