This is my new favorite way to eat broccoli – with a creamy sauce that’s loaded with Parmesan and a hint of bacon, this Keto Broccoli Casserole with Parmesan and Bacon is creamy, loaded with flavor, and an easy dish to make.
Broccoli is not my favorite veggie. Not even in my top 10. But with this creamy sauce? Gimme gimme!
Are you ready to get started? Let’s go!
What You Need To Make This Keto Broccoli Casserole
- Oven-safe casserole dish
- Bacon – bacon makes everything better!
- Heavy whipping cream
- Broccoli – fresh is best!
- Xanthan gum (optional)
How To Make This Keto Broccoli Recipe
- Wash and trim the broccoli and steam it for about 3 minutes in the microwave on high or until the broccoli is bright green but still quite crunchy.
- Chop the bacon and fry it in a skillet. Set the bacon aside and remove all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat from the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan and sautee the onion and garlic in the bacon fat until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cream to the skillet and simmer for 3-4 minutes, allowing it to thicken slightly. Thicken with a pinch of xanthan gum if you like it a bit thicker.
- Add the bacon to the cream, and toss with the well-drained broccoli. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Pour this bacon, cream, broccoli mixture into an oven-safe casserole dish. Top with mozzarella and parmesan and bake at 400-F until the top is bubbly and brown. About 10 minutes.
How Do I Steam Broccoli?
Steaming broccoli is pretty simple.
- Start with a large glass or microwave-safe bowl.
- Add about 1/4 cup of water to the bottom of the bowl.
- Put the washed and trimmed broccoli, cut in pieces, into the bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes then check. Continue on high in 1 minute intervals until it is cooked the way you like it.
- Be careful opening the plastic wrap – watch out for the hot steam!
Chef Jenn’s Tips To Make Keto Broccoli Casserole with Parmesan and Broccoli
- Don’t overcook the broccoli! There’s nothing worse than mooshy broccoli. You want to steam it (see notes above) just a few minutes until it is bright green with still some crunch.
- Change up the cheese – gouda, havarti, Swiss, pepperjack – whatever you’ve got will be fine!
- Add a pinch of red pepper flakes for some extra heat
- Xanthan gum helps this thicken up a little bit – don’t use more than 1/4 tsp – but is totally optional
What to Serve With This Delish Keto Casserole
Is Keto Broccoli Casserole with Parmesan & Bacon Freezer Friendly?
Yes, you can freeze this dish.
Once frozen and thawed, the broccoli is going to give off a fair bit of water and your nice creamy sauce could turn kind of soupy.
If that doesn’t bother you – go ahead and freeze this keto broccoli bacon casserole for up to three months in a freezer-safe container or zippered plastic bag.
Thaw it and heat it in the microwave.
Or, just enjoy this amazing dish fresh from the oven.
Yes! Totally keto. With about 3.5 net carbs per 1 cup serving, it’s a great choice for keto dieters. Rich in fiber, vitamins, and more, it’s a healthy veggie for anyone!
The easy answer is yes – just thaw it and drain it really well first. The more complicated answer is that frozen broccoli gives off a lot more liquid so your sauce could be more soupy.
There are XX net carbs in this tasty and easy keto broccoli recipe.
Like This? Also Try:
Step By step Process
Keto Broccoli Casserole with Parmesan and Bacon
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 5 slices bacon chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum optional
- Steam the broccoli until bright green but still has a bit of crunch to it. About 3 minutes in the microwave in a bowl with 1/4 cup of water and covered tightly with plastic wrap.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Set the bacon aside and remove all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat.
- Add the butter, onions, and garlic and sautee until the onion is translucent. About 5 minutes at medium high heat.
- Add the cream to the skillet and simmer for 2-3 minutes to thicken slightly. Thicken with xanthan gum if you like.
- Return the bacon to the pan and add the parmesan cheese. Combine well. Add the drained and steamed broccoli and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put the broccoli and cream mixture into a casserole dish. Top with the mozzarella cheese and bake at 400-F for about 5 minutes until hot and bubbly and the cheese is golden brown. Serve!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Chef Jenn’s Current Favorites
There’s even more keto yumminess to love, and at the time of publishing this recipe, these are some of my current favorites:
- Keto Wonton(less) Soup – it’s so rich and savory and the broth is amazing!
- This meaty sausage dish – my whole family loves it!
- For breakfast, egg bites are the way to go!
- Beefy vegetable soup is a classic that’s always delish
- For casserole lovers, this Southern inspired chicken dish is tops!
And if you’re having trouble calculating net carbs, check out this handy calculator!