These keto Chaffle Pizzas are light, crispy, not too eggy, and can be topped just the way you like them. Grab the pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, onions…all your favorite pizza toppings, and get chaffling today!
While the quest for the perfect keto pizza crust goes on, you can enjoy a fabulous personal-size pizza chaffle-style!
What’s a Chaffle?
I don’t know who thought to put a cheesy-eggy batter into a mini waffle pan, but keto dieters all over the world have benefited from having a pretty nearly blank canvas to work with when creating scrumptious meals.
Basically, a chaffle is a mixture of eggs, cheese, and almond flour. There are variations on this basic formula, including my personal favorite, which uses egg whites (not the yolks), mozzarella (or some other neutral cheese), a bit of superfine ground almond flour (this helps give it some body), and sour cream.
Yup, you heard me, sour cream. The sour cream gives it a slight tanginess and richness that puts these chaffles over the top.
The basic batter is enough to make two chaffles in a mini waffle maker; just don’t overfill the waffle maker, or you’ll have a mess!
Tips for Making Chaffle Recipes
I’ve seen some pictures of chaffles-gone-wrong. Here are some tips to help your chaffles turn out perfectly each time.
- Spray the waffle maker – top and bottom – with cooking spray before using. Or, melt a bit of butter on it and let it run through the grooves.
- Try to make sure an equal amount of cheese gets into each chaffle, and spread it around a bit on the waffle iron before closing the lid.
- Place a paper towel under the waffle maker to catch spillover. I almost always have some oozing out.
- The lid will open easily when the chaffle is golden-brown. If the lid is sticking, don’t force it. Give it another minute and try again to open it.
- If your chaffle comes out undercooked, pop it back in for another minute!
- Make your own pizza sauce to save on carbs. Here’s a great recipe.
- Egg whites
- Sour cream
- Almond flour – I use superfine grind
- Mozzarella cheese – or another mild melting cheese
- Pizza sauce
- Your favorite pizza toppings
You’ll Also Need:
- mini waffle maker – This one by Dash is perfect
- sheet pan – Reason #229532 to invest in solid commercial-grade sheet pans
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowl – These stainless steel bowls are my favorite. They’re indestructible.
How to Make The Best Keto Chaffle Pizzas
The hardest part of making Chaffle Pizzas is making the chaffles!
- Whip the egg whites with a fork or whisk in a bowl until they’re a bit frothy.
- Add the sour cream, almond flour, and shredded cheese, then mix well.
- Put half the chaffle batter into the waffle iron and cook. The time depends on your individual waffle maker, so watch it carefully. Expect 3-5 minutes on average.
- Remove the chaffle and top it with a bit of Keto Pizza Sauce, mozzarella, and all your favorite pizza toppings.
- Pop them into a pre-heated 375-F oven for about five minutes, allowing everything to heat through. Turn the broiler on for another minute or two to get everything bubbly and brown.
- Add 1/2 tsp of your favorite Italian seasoning to the chaffle batter for even more flavor.
- Get creative with the toppings! Spinach, roasted red bell pepper, salami, and all your favorites will make tasty chaffles.
- Chaffles can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble and bake them.
- Don’t add any salt – the cheese adds all the salt you need.
- Any waffle maker will make a chaffle but the amount of batter you use will differ. Experiment to perfectly golden-brown chaffles.
- Dip your keto chaffle pizza crusts into this delish pizza aioli!
- Here’s a recipe for Keto Lemon Cake Chaffles if you prefer something a bit sweeter, or try this keto peanut butter cup chaffle!
Step By Step Process
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 cup PLUS 4 tbsp shredded mozzarella
- 4 tbsp pizza sauce
- To make the chaffles, whip the egg whites with a fork until frothy. Blend in the almond flour and sour cream. Mix well then add the 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella.
- Cook the chaffles in a mini waffle maker using half the mixture. Cook until golden brown then set aside.
- Top each chaffle with 2 tbsp pizza sauce, 2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese, and all your favorite toppings.
- Bake on a sheet pan in a preheated 375-F oven for 5-7 minutes, then turn the broiler on for 2 minutes to get the tops golden brown and bubbly.
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
WANT EVEN MORE EASY KETO DIET RECIPES?
I’m always in the kitchen creating new recipes, and while some of them are big hits, I get some misses, too. But these are some of my favorite all-time recipes:
- Thick and luscious Salmon Chowder
- Grilled veggies – I love how versatile this recipe is!
- This amazing cauliflower dish
- Meaty sausage Parmigiana