This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Beef Stroganoff is one of those fancy-schmancy dishes that we never have time to make, but this Instant Pot keto Beef Stroganoff recipe is easy, uses friendly ingredients, and can be ready to eat in about 40 minutes.
This tasty dish gets cooked all-day flavor after just a few minutes in the Instant Pot, and it is easy to make.
How to Make Keto Beef Stroganoff
- Brown the beef in the Instant Pot on sautee.
- Add onions, garlic, and thyme and cook another minute or two.
- Add the remaining ingredients (all but the sour cream).
- Cook on Pressure setting on high for 6 minutes, natural release for 2 minutes, then manually release the pressure.
- Add the sour cream, and that’s it!
Tips From the Chef
- Switch up the mushrooms to change the flavor – I used white button mushrooms but cremini would work well too, or even portabello mushrooms.
- Thicken the sauce (when finished cooking) with about a 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum. It will thicken up a bit after standing so give it a few minutes before serving.
- Use stewing beef instead of ground beef, but you’ll need to cook it longer.
- Make sure you temper the sour cream – don’t just add cold sour cream to the hot liquid. Mix some of the hot liquid with the sour cream to bring the temperature up, then add the sour cream mixture to the stroganoff.
What to Serve with this Keto Beef Stroganoff Recipe
This has such great flavor that you don’t want to have another competing flavor with it, so stick to something plain like roasted veg or zucchini noodles, or Simple Cauliflower Rice. Let the Beef Stroganoff be the star of your plate!
Is This Recipe Freezer-Friendly?
Yes! Once cooked, Keto Beef Stroganoff will do just fine in the freezer.
To freeze it, fully cook the recipe, then chill it in the fridge overnight. Pack portions into freezer-friendly plastic zip-top bags, or vacuum-seal them with my favorite vacuum sealer (this gizmo will pay for itself by reducing food waste!)
To thaw it, if you used a vacuum sealer, simply thaw the bag under cold running water until thawed, then place it in a microwave-safe container and heat on medium-power until heated through.
Or, thaw it in the fridge overnight and heat it in the microwave on medium power.
How to Thicken Instant Pot Beef StrogAnoff
This dish is made in the Instant Pot which locks in all the moisture, so it won’t thicken normally. If you’re not too worried about a few carbs, thicken it with a cornstarch slurry (1 tbsp of cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp of cold water and added to the boiling liquid).
Start with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum. Add this powder to the liquid and stir it in. This crazy all-natural thickener will thicken as it sits, so wait a good 10 minutes before you add more or you could end up making a science fair project out of your dinner.
More Recipes to Try
Creamy and tasty and made super-simple in the Instant Pot, this easy-peasy keto dish is a dinner classic.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Turn the Instant Pot on sautee, high. Add the oil and brown the ground beef. Drain off any fat and liquid.
- Still on sautee, add the onions and garlic. Cook an addition 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the beef broth, thyme, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Turn the Instant Pot onto Pressure, High, and set it for 6 minutes. Lock it up. When the time is up, let it release naturally for 3 minutes, then manual release and open the pot.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Add that to the sour cream, tempering it. Once the beef stroganoff has stopped bubbling, add the sour cream and broth mixture to the beef and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper, and thicken with 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Please note: Xanthum gum thickens up as it sits, so mix it in and let it stand for a few minutes before serving. Do not add too much xanthum gum!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 590mgCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g
All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered via Nutrifox, when available, or other similar online calculators. Nutrition values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but readers should make their own calculations if exact calculations are required. Recipe authors are not nutritionists or dieticians and recipes are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. Please consult your primary doctor before making any changes to your diet.