Who doesn’t love the smells and flavors of keto fajitas? Loaded with veggies, this keto Chicken Fajita Skillet recipe is a quick fix that always satisfies!
Multi-colored peppers and a homemade keto fajita seasoning make these stellar chicken fajitas a meal the whole family loves. And, when you don’t have time to fire up the grill, this is the perfect solution that’s easy enough for weeknight dinners. Hungry? Read on and I, Chef Jenn, will show you how to make these keto fajitas perfectly every time!
What You Need To Make Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- A big skillet – cast iron is great but whatever you have will work
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Garlic – fresh is best!
- Red, green, yellow bell peppers
- Taco seasoning that doubles as fajita seasoning in this recipe – it’s also gluten-free
- Avocado oil
- Chili powder – this spice mix is gluten free
- Salt and pepper
Are Bell Peppers Keto?
Yes! Bell peppers of any color are fine on a keto diet. They are, however, a bit higher in carbs (about 6 net carbs per cup), but you won’t be eating that many of them in this recipe. So enjoy!
What About the Onions?
Onions are also a bit higher in carbs but add so much flavor that I usually don’t mind adding a few. The onions are easy enough to omit if you are worried about the carbs.
How to Make Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- Slice the chicken breast and mix it with the lime juice, garlic, and keto fajita seasoning. Let it sit and marinate for up to an hour.
- Slice the peppers and onions and toss them with avocado oil and the chili powder. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add more avocado oil. Add the chicken and sautee over fairly high heat (but not smoking or the chicken will burn) until cooked through. Set the chicken aside.
- Heat more oil over medium-high heat and add the onions and peppers. Sautee them until hot but still tender-crisp.
- Serve with all your favorite fajita fixings!
Chef Jenn’s tips
- Chicken breast can be expensive! Wait for it to go on sale and freeze some of it to use in tasty dishes like this.
- Or, buy chicken breast on the bone and remove the meat from the bone yourself. Save the bones to make Chicken Broth.
- Chicken thighs will also work in this dish. Just trim off any visible fat.
- You can prep everything ahead of time to make this delish recipe, then cooking is a breeze!
- Don’t overcook the peppers. They should still have some crunch to them.
Perfect Condiments for Low Carb Chicken Fajitas
- Pico de gallo
- Salsa – green or red
- Sour Cream
- Your favorite hot sauce
- Cheese – shred your own to avoid starchy anti-clumping agents in the bagged shreds
- Creamy jalapeno dip/sauce – drizzled on top? Oh yum!
- Low-carb tortillas
What To Serve With Fajitas?
The non-keto diners in your family might love this Cheesy Spanish Rice dish, but for the ketoers, a fresh salad like this Tomato, Cucumber, and Avocado Salad with a light herb dressing would be perfect.
Another tasty choice to serve alongside this dish would be a simple salad jazzed up with this Green Goddess Dressing.
And for dessert, check out these keto Coconut Macaroons.
Is This Dish Freezer Friendly?
This cast Iron fajita skillet recipe can be frozen, but be aware that the peppers won’t retain their tender-crisp texture after being frozen and thawed.
To freeze them, chill the fajitas thoroughly in the fridge then package them in air-tight containers or freezer-safe plastic bags for up to three months.
Heat gently in the oven or in the microwave to reheat, and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Totally, yes! Just watch the amount of peppers and onions you eat, as those have higher carbs. Also, be sure to eat these in a lettuce cup or low-carb tortilla to keep the carbs down.
It all depends on the recipe and how many onions and peppers you eat. In this recipe, with a few slices of peppers and a bit of onion per fajita, you’re looking at 5 net carbs.
The cooking process goes really quickly. It’s all the chopping of meat and veg and condiments that takes the most time. You can prep the meat and veg ahead of time, and then it only takes about 10 minutes to cook.
Like This? ALso Try:
Step By Step Process
Sign up to get Chef Jenn’s best recipes right in your inbox and get a FREE Keto Pantry Checklist as thanks!
Keto Chicken Fajita Skillet
- 1 pound chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Fiesta Taco Seasoning
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
For the Veggies
- 1/2 cup onion sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper sliced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the chicken into long strips and mix it with the Fiesta Taco Seasoning and lime juice. Mix well and set aside to marinate for up to an hour.
- Slice the onion and peppers and mix with 1 tsp of chili powder. Set aside until ready to cook.
- Heat 2 tbsp of avocado oil in a large skillet over fairly high heat, but not smoking. Add the chicken and sautee for 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Set aside.
- Heat another 2 tbsp of avocado oil over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add the peppers. Cook another 2 minutes or until the peppers are tender crisp. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken with some of the peppers and onions with all your favorite fajita fixings!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.