This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Get your spoon ready, because you’re going to want to slurp up the sauce on this AH-mazing Keto Asparagus with Lemon Sauce.
This egg-free lemon sauce is a twist on a classic beurre blanc sauce. That restaurant-quality sauce is finicky and prone to breaking (the butter separating from the other ingredients), but this simplified version is just as tasty and SO MUCH easier.
What You need to Make Keto Asparagus with Lemon Sauce
There are a gazillion ways to cook keto asparagus, but with this recipe, I keep it simple. You just need a few things to make this delish dish that’s the perfect side dish.
- Skillet with lid – having a lid is important so you can steam the asparagus
- Tongs – do yourself a favor and get the locking tongs with silicone tips. Love love love mine!
- Strainer – go hands-free with this heavy-duty strainer
- Whisk – silicone whisks are the best invention EVER
Ingredients to Make Keto Asparagus with Lemon Sauce
- Chicken broth/stock (use your home-made Chicken Bone Broth)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Heavy whipping cream
- 1 stick of butter
- Salt and pepper
How to Prepare Asparagus
Asparagus grows up from under very sandy soil. As you can imagine, the paintbrush-like heads on the asparagus collect all that gritty sand as they push up through the surface.
So, washing the asparagus is essential! You don’t want to bite into succulent asparagus and get gritty sand. Yuck!
I snap the bottom end off the asparagus – it is tough and fibrous and not nice to eat.
Then, I run each stalk of asparagus under cold running water to dislodge any sand. This might take two washings if it is particularly sandy.
How to Make Keto Asparagus with Lemon Sauce
- Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the ends and washing it.
- Add 1/2-inch of water to a skillet and bring to a boil. Season with salt, then add the asparagus.
- Return to a boil and pop on the lid. Steam the asparagus for 2-3 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Use the tongs to put the asparagus in the strainer.
- To make the sauce, dump out the asparagus water and add the chicken broth and lemon juice to the skillet.
- Heat it over high and reduce until about half the liquid remains.
- Add the cream, and whisk in chunks of cold butter until smooth and velvety.
This is Not Hollandaise Sauce
Don’t confuse this sauce with Hollandaise sauce. Hollandaise sauce is made by emulsifying egg yolks and butter. The sauce is rich, thick, and delicious.
This sauce is egg-free, and made by slowly incorporating butter into other liquids. It is a thinner sauce, but omigosh, it is so good.
- When you start to work in the butter, turn the heat off. You don’t want to boil this sauce or it’ll break (separate).
- If your sauce does break, you can try to re-emulsify it with an immersion blender.
- Adjust the lemon to suit your tastes – more or less lemon is just fine!
- Add a bit of chopped dill to make a lemon-dill sauce. Or, experiment with your favorite herbs.
- Don’t overcook the asparagus. Check out the video on this page to see how to cook asparagus properly.
- This sauce won’t reheat well. You can store it in the fridge for up to a week, and then set the container with the sauce in it in a bowl with hot water to melt and re-liquify the sauce. Do NOT microwave it!
- Want more lemony goodness? Check out this keto Lemon Blueberry Bread!
Does Keto Asparagus with Lemon Sauce Freeze?
Unfortunately, this is one of those dishes that is just better fresh. You can store it in the fridge for a few days. To reheat the sauce, see the note above in the Chef’s Tips.
Certainly! The lemon sauce is the rock star in this dish. Put this lemon sauce on whatever you like!
Absolutely! It tends to be a little less lemony so adjust the amount of lemon to your liking.
If you’re doing strict keto, you probably want to use a grass-fed butter. Otherwise, any store brand butter will work. If you use unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt.
Like This? Also Try:
Step by Step Images
Easy Keto Asparagus with Lemon Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus trimmed and washed
- 1 stick cold butter cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp chicken broth
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Clean and snap the ends off the asparagus. Heat 1/2-inch of water in a skillet with a tightly fitting lid. Once boiling, add the asparagus and put the lid on. Steam for 2-3 minutes or until the asparagus is tender-crisp. Remove the asparagus and set aside.
- Rinse out the skillet and put it back on the heat. Add the chicken broth and lemon juice. Boil and reduce by half. Turn off the heat and add the heavy whipping cream. Whisk well to combine.
- Cut the butter into about 8 pieces. Using a whisk and with the burner OFF, add the butter one chunk at a time whisking until it is melted and fully incorporated. When one chunk has melted, add the next, and continue until all the butter is whisked in and your sauce is lovely and velvety.
- Season and serve!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.