There’s nothing better than a big bowl of creamy keto Broccoli Cheese Soup whenever you’re craving something hearty, cheesy, creamy, and full of flavor. I’m going to share with you my long-time chef created and perfected keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup – read on to see more!
As a working chef, I had to create a version of broccoli soup that didn’t include processed cheese, which is the main ingredient in many recipes.
After gallons and gallons of soup, I finally struck upon the magic of creating the PERFECT creamy, hearty, and delicious Broccoli Cheese Soup, and I’m going to share it with you.
The secret is three cheeses and one ingredient you don’t normally find in broccoli soup – read more to see how you can make the BEST broccoli soup on the planet!
Join our Facebook group for friendly keto support, and for videos on how to make these recipes, subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Jump-start your keto success! Grab a copy of my 4-week Easy Keto Menu Plan or check out my other cookbooks to help you along
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosures.
What You Need to Make Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- A large pot with lid
- Cutting board – do yourself a favor and use a dishwasher safe cutting board. They make clean up so much easier!
- Sharp knife – I love Henckels! They offer amazing quality for the value
- Immersion blender – This is so much easier to use than a regular blender, but that’ll work too.
- Cheese grater – I prefer the non-box grater kind. They are so much easier to use without the cheese clumping inside.
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
Ingredients to Make This Keto Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Fresh broccoli
- Chicken broth – use this recipe for Bone Broth or buy the low-sodium kind
- Heavy whipping cream
- Fresh garlic or garlic powder
- Cream cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Dijon mustard
- Cooking oil
How to Make Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Sautee the onion and garlic in a touch of oil.
- Add the broccoli and chicken broth and simmer until the broccoli is very soft.
- Puree with your immersion blender.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, and Dijon mustard and heat through.
- Add the cheddar and Parmesan and stir until melted.
- Grab a spoon and dig in!
Chef Jenn’s Tips
- If you’re using broccoli stems and not just florets, cook the stems for 10 minutes before adding the florets. They cook much more quickly.
- The softer your broccoli is before pureeing, the creamier your soup will be.
- To test if your broccoli is soft enough for pureeing, poke it a few times with a fork – there should be no resistance.
- Use a good-quality old cheddar for the best cheesy flavor.
- Don’t boil the soup once the cheddar and Parmesan have been added. Those cheeses don’t like that kind of heat and they can separate, making your soup appear grainy.
- If your cheese does separate, use the immersion blender again to puree it and it should become smooth and creamy again.
What to Serve With Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
This soup is so hearty and so filling, you don’t need much with it! Nibble on some crackers or opt for a bowl of salad with your meal. You can also go for a classic soup and sandwich combo with this French Dip Chaffwich!
Is This Soup Freezer Friendly?
Yes! Simply prepare the soup and then chill it in the fridge overnight or for a few hours.
Package it in individual size servings (or however much you need) in an air-tight container and freeze for up to three months.
My favorite way to freeze saucy and soupy recipes is by using Souper Cubes! These amazing freezer-safe cubes are perfect for freezing portions of all my favorite soups, stews, and other saucy meals. I freeze them then pop them out and put the rectangular frozen blocks into a zipper-top freezer bag. It makes storing them SOOOO much easier!
Where can you find these Soup Cubes? You can order them from Souper Cubes – how cool is this?
To reheat, thaw fully in the fridge. Then heat it slowly on the stove or in the microwave taking care not to boil the soup. Remember, cheddar doesn’t like to be boiled! If your soup looks grainy because it boiled, use the immersion blender and it should get creamy again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! A cup of chopped broccoli has about 6 carbs and 2.5 grams of fiber, giving it 3.5 net carbs per cup. A great keto choice!
There are XX carbs and XX net carbs in each serving of this soup.
It is very similar, but Panera’s broccoli cheese soup version isn’t keto or low-carb – this one is!
LIke This? Also Try:
Step By STep Process
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Sautee the onion and garlic in the butter in a pot large enough to hold all the broccoli.
- When tender (about 3-4 minutes) add the broccoli florets and chicken broth. Simmer about 15 minutes until the broccoli is super tender but not mushy.
- Puree the broccoli and liquid with an immersion blender or your blender.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and cream cheese. Heat through until simmering. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the shredded cheddar, Parmesan, and Dijon mustard. Stir until creamy and smooth. Do not boil the cheese!
- If too thick, add a splash more cream.
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Want even more keto deliciousness? Check out these keto soups & chowders, or dig into a big and meaty dish like Sausage Parmigiana. There’s plenty more to love, like keto egg bites, and casseroles like king ranch chicken. Keto corned beef hash is another tasty pick.
9 thoughts on “Creamy Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup”
This soup is divine! Love your tip about cooking the stems a bit before adding the florets. So helpful – thank you!
So glad you like it!
I have never tried this soup so far. Only normal broccoli soup, I love that so much. You tempted me enough to try this version.
I haven’t made broccoli cheese soup in awhile, but I think I’ll be making it tonight! It looks delicious and I can already taste the cheesy flavors!
Yum!! I make this recipe year round, just obsessed! Great recipe 🙂
So glad you like it! There’s nothing quite like a big bowlful of broccoli cheese soup!
I made this yesterday, it was great. Excellent choice of cheese
I made this soup with all my broccoli leaves and left over stalks from the garden in September and then put it in the freezer. The kids are loving it every time we pull some out for lunch! Just finishing the last of it!
Time to make some more! So glad you all loved it!!