It doesn’t get much tastier than this! Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Asparagus is simply delightful! Not only is this an easy dish to make, but the smoky grill adds oodles of flavor to this side, making it a keto asparagus recipe you can’t miss! Hungry? Read on and I, Chef Jenn, will show you all my tips to make this amazing bacon wrapped asparagus on the grill!
Not only is Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Asparagus fun to make, the flavors are dynamite! It’s at once smoky and salty, and the light flavor of the asparagus pairs so well with the bacon and the grilled flavor. Plus, this dish can be prepped ahead of time, so it’s ready to go onto the grill whenever you fire it up!
What You Need To Make Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Asparagus
This dish is so easy, even my 5-ingredient or less loving mother-in-law would love it! You ready for this? Check it out:
- Avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
How To Clean Asparagus
Asparagus grows up from under the dirt, usually loose, sandy soil. So you can imagine all the dirt that can get trapped in those brushy tops. Cleaning asparagus properly and thoroughly is essential so that you don’t bite into gritty spears! Nothing will ruin your dish faster than gritty asparagus. Here’s how I’ve been cleaning it for more than 20 years.
- Snap off the woody ends. You can rinse these and save them in the freezer for soup, like this Cream of Asparagus Soup, or discard them.
- Run the brushy ends of each asparagus spear under quickly running tap water. I usually do two or three at a time, but don’t rush it!
- Once you’ve washed all the spears under running water, fill a large bowl or pot with about 2-inches of water. Add the rinsed asparagus and swish pretty quickly for about 30 seconds. Let the water settle. Scoop out the asparagus.
- Before you discard the water, feel the bottom of the bowl or pot. Does it feel gritty? If it does, you might want to give your asparagus another rinse under running water. If there’s no grit, it should be pretty clean.
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus on the Grill
- Fire up your grill and preheat it to a medium-high heat, then turn it down. You don’t need too high a heat because the bacon will drip grease and cause some flareups.
- While your grill is preheating, toss your asparagus with the oil and salt and pepper.
- Then, grab 2-3 asparagus spears and wrap them in bacon. Start at the top, and hold the end of the bacon with your thumb while you wrap the bacon down the asparagus in a spiral.
- Grill them, turning every minute or so, moving them out of the way of flareups. When the bacon is crispy around the edges, they’re cooked and ready to go!
How To Store Asparagus
Asparagus is pretty delicate and won’t keep too long in the fridge. If you plan on making this BBQ bacon wrapped asparagus but won’t get to it for a few days, it’s best to properly store your asparagus so it stays fresh. Here are a few methods that have worked for me:
- Trim about 1/2-inch from the stem end and stand the asparagus up in a jar that’s wide enough to hold the bundle. Add about 1/2-inch of water to the bottom of the jar, and cover the tops of the asparagus loosely with a plastic bag
- Wrap the whole bundle in 1 sheet of paper towel and pop it back into the plastic bag
Whatever you do, don’t let the asparagus tips gather too much condensation or they’ll go slimy. Storing the asparagus – without the paper towel – in the produce bag won’t keep it for more than a day or two, so pick one of these other methods if you need to keep it for longer.
Chef Jenn’s Tips
- For even cooking, choose asparagus bundles where the spears are all about the same diameter. Thicker or thinner, it doesn’t matter.
- Don’t make your bundles too big, just 2-3 spears, or you risk them not cooking and the bacon overcooking.
- Regular bacon works best in this recipe – not thick-cut.
- Get fancy and use peppered bacon to change up the flavors a bit.
- Let your bacon and asparagus come to room temperature before grilling and they’ll cook more quickly.
- Keep your heat on the low side to cook this grilled bacon-wrapped asparagus recipe.
What To Serve With This Easy Asparagus Recipe
Grilled asparagus is no doubt an easy and delicious dish, and it pairs well with just about anything else off the grill, like these Lemon-Oregano Chicken Kabobs or make it a veggie feast with these Grilled Vegetables. Smoked chicken is another tasty side that pairs well with this dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
That’s going to depend largely on how big your asparagus bundles are and how hot the grill is. Keep turning them when they’re on the grill, so they don’t burn. Expect them to take about 10 minutes over medium heat.
Heck yes! Resist the urge to add sugar to this dish and it is totally keto. In fact, asparagus is a GREAT keto choice because it is low in carbs and high in fiber. And every ketoer knows bacon is totally keto. In this dish, there are 2 net carbs. A keto dinner winner!
Technically, you can freeze them after they’ve been cooled. But, the asparagus is going to lose its crisp, and the bacon will go limp. For best results, eat this dish fresh.
LIke This Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Asparagus? Also Try:
Step By Step Photos
Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus spears
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 pound bacon
- Snap the ends and wash the asparagus.
- Toss the asparagus with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Wrap bundles of 2-3 spears in bacon, starting at the top and wrapping the bacon down the lenght of the spears as you go.
- Grill over medium heat, turning every minute or two, until the asparagus is bright green and the bacon is crispy around the edges. Enjoy!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Want More Easy Keto Recipes like this Bacon-Wrapped Grilled Asparagus?
I’m always happy to take requests – just email me at email@example.com and let’s talk! In the meantime, if you want more keto deliciousness, check out some of these recipes: