This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
When there’s a crispness in the air that heralds autumn’s return, the first thing I think of for meals are rich, hearty, and chunky soups like this keto-friendly Beefy Minestrone Soup.
Minestrone is one of my all-time fall favorites because it is loaded with fresh veggies, and is so versatile.
Any Veggies in this Keto-Friendly Beefy Minestrone Soup
Honestly, you can put just about any veggies into this savory soup, but adjust the cooking times depending on what you add.
Carrots, onions, celery, root veggies and so on require more cooking time, while veggies with higher water content, like zucchini, bell peppers, and squash only need a few minutes at a boil. Any longer and you run the chance of them becoming mush.
Keto Minestrone Soup is Easy!
Years and years ago when I had my own deli-type business, I had a customer come in and turn his nose down at my home-cooked soups. He said that soups were the easiest thing in the world to cook. Simply throw some veggies into a pot, add some broth, and voila, you’ve got soup.
This is true in a sense, but the best soups, including this keto-friendly Beefy Minestrone Soup, are built on layers of flavor, creating a robust and savory base before adding any veggies at all.
There are soups, and then there are SOUPS and this soup is one of my all-time favorites.
HOw To Make This Keto Soup Recipe
You don’t need much in the way of fancy equipment for this soup. Invest in a heavy-bottomed pot. Cheap aluminum pots (lightweight) will scorch and burn, ruining soups.
Dutch ovens are my favorite. They go from the stovetop to the oven, and they’re so solidly well-built that they’ll last you forever. A bit of an investment up-front, but really totally worth it.
- Use great quality ingredients. The fresher the veg, the better the flavor!
- If you’re short on time, use ground beef instead of stew beef. The flavor won’t be quite as deep, but it’ll save you some time.
- Load it with your favorite veggies, just watch for carbier choices like green beans, carrots, and onions.
- Like spice? Add some red pepper flakes to spice it up.
- Serve it with some grated Parmesan to jazz up the flavor!
What To Serve with Beefy Minestrone
This dish is pretty much a meal-in-a-bowl, but you can sneak some extra veggies into your day (and some extra fiber) by enjoying a salad with this dish. I’ve also been known to feast on my famous Crack Cauliflower or other veggies with this soup, too.
Is Keto Friendly Beefy Minestrone Soup Freezable?
Yes! A BIG yes! Soups freeze fabulously, and while you will lose a bit of texture from the veggies, this soup freezes like a dream.
Chill the soup overnight in the fridge.
Pour it into freezer-safe containers in single or family-size portions. Date the top with a Sharpie, and freeze for up to three months (or longer).
To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight, and heat it slowly on the stovetop. Or, transfer it to a microwave-safe dish and microwave it in 1-minute intervals until it is heated through.
Like This? Also Try:
- Smoked Sausage Chowder
- Beef Pot Roast Soup
- Shrimp Chowder with Chipotle
- and don’t forget to check out my cookbook page!
Thick, chunky, and layered with flavor, this keto-friendly Beefy Minestrone soup is so good, so healthy, and so tasty it'll be a favorite. It freezes great, too!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound stew beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup green beans, snipped and cut
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a heavy bottom pot and turn the heat on to medium-high. Add the stewing beef that's been cut into smaller chunks, and brown in batches if necessary.
- Add the onion, garlic, and celery and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
- While this is cooking, prepare the kale. Wash it thoroughly and remove the leaves from the stems. Roughly chop it.
- Put the low-sodium beef broth, a whole 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, tomato paste and kale into the pot with the beef, onions, and carrots.
- Simmer over low heat, covered, for about 20 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Add the remaining veggies and your favorite Italian seasoning blend, and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Season with 1 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper, or to taste. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and dig in!
If you use no-salt added broth and diced tomatoes to this keto-friendly Beefy Minestrone Soup, you'll need to add a bit more salt. Taste the soup and adjust the salt to your preference.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 581mgCarbohydrates: 10gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 15g