This Keto Cucumber Salsa is light, crisp, crunchy, and packed with flavor. Plus, it’s an easy fix that you can make ahead of time. It goes great on low-carb tortilla chips or with any kind of grilled or smoked meat. Hungry? Read on and I, Chef Jenn, will show you all my tips and tricks to make this amazing dish perfectly every time!
Bright, citrusy and crunchy, this amazing Cucumber Salsa is all you need to get the fiesta going! It’s an easy fix that’s totally do-aheadable, too, so grab a knife and a few ingredients and let’s get cooking!
What You Need To Make Keto Cucumber Salsa
- Sharp knife – or an alligator chopper (such a handy and amazing tool!
- Cutting board
- Green pepper
- Garlic – fresh is best
- Red onion
- Salt and pepper
What Kind Of Cucumber Should You Use?
Waxed cucumbers, English cucumbers, field cucumbers, mini cucumbers…the selection of cucumbers can be dizzying, but never fear, I’ve got the 411 on which kind of cucumbers are best in this recipe.
English cucumbers. You know those long skinny cucs that are wrapped in plastic? Those are the best for this dish, and I’ll tell you why:
- The skin is edible and it adds fiber and lovely color to this keto cucumber salsa
- These cucs are seedless, so you have no big nasty seeds to scoop out
- They are more flavorful
So there you have it. Look for the English cucumbers, sometimes also called hot house cucumbers, and snag one of those for this recipe. But, if all you have are the waxy kind, you’ll just need to peel them and then use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and then you’re good to go.
How To Make This Cucumber Salsa Recipe
- Wash the cucumber and trim the ends off. Using a sharp knife, cut the cucumber in half and then cut each section in half again, but this time horizontally. You want to cut the cuc into 3 planks.
- When you’ve got your planks cut, lay each flat and cut each plank lengthwise to create long strips of cucumber. Then, cut these strips the other way to create diced cucumber.
- Chop the green pepper, the red onion, and the cilantro. Mince the garlic.
- Seed and finely dice the jalapeno.
- Mix all your veg together and add the lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper but not until you’re close to serving or your cucumbers could get watery.
Chef Jenn’s Tips
- Control the heat of the jalapeno by removing the seeds and the white membrane from inside the jalapeno, before chopping it for this recipe. Start with half a jalapeno, and see how spicy it is.
- Use an English cucumber and keep the peel on for added fiber and color.
- Don’t care for cilantro? Skip it, but add parsley instead. This dish really needs some fresh herbs.
- Don’t care for all the chopping? Check out this handy alligator chopper! It’s a lifesaver! We’d use these in my restaurant’s kitchen and it made short work of all that dicing.
What To Serve With This Mexican Cucumber Salsa
This is the perfect time to bust out your toasted low-carb tortillas, or serve it with your favorite grilled chicken. It’ll also go amazingly well with this Beef Barbacoa. I also just love a scoop of this salsa on top of a salad – it has so much flavor! Or, pair it with the ultimate keto Mexican casserole!
How To Store This Recipe
This cucumber recipe, also known as cucumber pico de gallo, can be kept in an air-tight container in the fridge for a few days. After that, it starts to wilt and lose its crunch.
Here’s a tip: Don’t salt the salsa until you’re just about ready to serve it. Once you’ve salted those cucumbers, they’ll start to exude water. So save the seasoning until just before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Salsas can take many forms, and they don’t all have to be tomato-based. You can make a tasty cucumber salsa with cucumbers, lime juice, cilantro, and jalapeno. That’s a basic recipe, but jazz it up with green bell pepper, red onion, and garlic.
No. Cucumbers have a very high water content and they don’t survive the freezing and thawing process well. You’ll end up with a watery mess. This recipe should be enjoyed fresh.
Yes! Top your favorite tacos, grilled meat or seafood, or slow-cooked meats with this delicious recipe and add a pop of flavor and freshness to your dish!
Like This? Also Try:
- 1 English cucumber small dice
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion diced finely
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Finely dice all the veggies and add them to a bowl with the chopped cilantro and lime juice. Mix well.
- Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper before serving.
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Want Even MOre Delicious Keto REcipes?
These are some of my current favorites:
Having trouble counting carbs? Check out this handy calculator.