This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
This keto Italian Chicken Stew (aka keto Chicken Cacciatore) is an easy keto weeknight dinner idea. Cooked in the Instant Pot and using ingredients that you may well have on hand, you can prep it and eat it in about 40 minutes.
The Instant Pot is the PERFECT way to cook this keto stew recipe. It gets cooked-all-day-long flavors without having to wait all day for it. And, with plenty of sauce and flavors that just get better the next day, you can eat it for dinner and have the leftovers for lunch the next day. Another of my Instant Pot meals is Beef Stroganoff, and did you know you can even make keto pizza sauce in your IP?
How to Make Keto Italian Chicken Stew
I used skinless chicken thighs for this dish. I didn’t bother to remove the bone because honestly, the meat just falls right off the bone when cooking. And, it’s all in the sauce! So use a good low-sodium can of diced tomatoes, a fresh pepper, and other fresh ingredients.
Start with your IP on sear and salt and pepper the chicken thighs, searing them a few at a time until they’re a bit brown.
Give your onions and garlic a bit of a head start on the sautee setting, then deglaze with a bit of the chicken stock to get all the bits off the bottom.
Now comes the fun part. Put the trivet into the bottom of the instant pot and load your chicken and all the veggies on top of it. Make some room so the liquid can get down to the bottom. Pop on the lid, set it for Pressure on high for 12 minutes, then walk away.
My Instant pot Confession
I don’t think I’ve ever used the natural release. I’m just too darn impatient. When the beeps are finished beeping, I’m over there hitting the manual release getting a kitchen-full of yummy smelling steam. I want to eat, not wait 20 mins for it to release! So go ahead, hit the manual release 🙂
- I use chicken thighs for this keto Chicken Cacciatore recipe and pull off the skin. You can use boneless and skinless but I’m too cheap to buy them and do it myself. If you pull off the skin, leave the bone in because the meat falls right off the bone.
- You can use chicken breast, too, but I’d reduce the cook time by a minute so they don’t get stringy and tough.
- Use the trivet so the chicken doesn’t stick to the bottom of the IP.
- Once done, remove the chicken and trivet and put the IP on sautee for a few minutes to let the mixture boil and evaporate a bit to intensify the flavors. 5 minutes should be plenty.
What To Serve With this Keto Italian chicken stew Recipe?
I think anything green and simple is going to do well with this recipe. Something like simple steamed green beans, Zucchini Noodles, or Roasted Broccoli. Yum! You could also just make Cauliflower Rice and gobble it up with the sauce. You can also serve it with this white bread keto chaffle to soak up all the luscious sauce. I’m also saving room for some of these nut-free keto snowball cookies to enjoy afterward! And, save room for these luscious Chocolate Keto Cupcakes from my blogger friend Zuzana over at LowCarb-NoCarb, or check out this Keto Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake.
Is This Keto Instant Pot Recipe Freezer Friendly?
Yes! Freeze the leftovers in the sauce in freezer-safe zipper bags or containers. Thaw and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave and enjoy!
Like this? Also Try:
- Greek Meatballs
- Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Pan-Roasted Asparagus
- This meaty keto meatloaf
- Keto Beef Stew – a slow cooker favorite
Keto Chicken Cacciatore
- Remove the skin on the chicken. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in the Instant Pot on the Sautee setting, high. Sear the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, working in batches. Remove the chicken to a plate when finished.
- Sautee the onion and garlic in the Instant Pot for 2-3 minutes. Deglaze with about 1/4 cup of the chicken stock.
- Turn the Instant Pot off. Add the trivet to the Instant Pot and add the chicken so that it is sitting on top of the trivet. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, mushrooms, and everything but the peppers.
- Put the lid on and set the Instant Pot to Presure, high, 12 minutes.
- When done, manually release. Remove the chicken with tongs once it has stopped boiling. Add the peppers and set the Instant Pot to sautee for a few minutes to allow the peppers to cook and to evaporate some of the liquid, making the sauce more concentrated.
- Turn off the Instant Pot, season the sauce with more salt and pepper if necessary, and serve over the chicken thighs.
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.