Made famous by Culver’s, keto Butter Burgers are a delicious burger that is full of big beefy flavor and the sweet saltiness of butter that created an irresistible juiciness. It’s a match made in heaven and I, Chef Jenn, will show you how to make these amazing keto hamburgers in your kitchen.
The original Butter Burgers aren’t cooked, drowned, or sluiced in butter but rather are served on a generously buttered golden bun.
Why stop there? With this amped-up keto Butter Burger recipe, you get maximum flavor and maximum buttery-ness. Hungry? Let’s get cooking!
Join our Facebook group for friendly keto support, and for videos on how to make these recipes, subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Jump-start your keto success! Grab a copy of my 4-week Easy Keto Menu Plan or check out my other cookbooks to help you along
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosures.
What You Need To Make Keto Butter Burgers
- A stainless steel or cast iron skillet – nonstick will work, too
- Butter – of course! Use grass-fed if you’re strict keto, otherwise store brands are fine.
- Lean ground beef – don’t worry, we’ll add plenty of fat
- Salt and pepper
- Crispy Chaffles – 2 per keto butter burger
How To Make This Butter Burger Recipe
- Make four balls from your pound of ground beef, and flatten them slightly with your hand.
- Heat a stainless steel or cast iron skillet on the stove until hot but not smoking. Add about 1 tbsp of butter to the pan and add the flattened disk of meat. Squish the meat flat with a spatula or flipper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining disks of meat and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until well seared. Season the other side when you flip them.
- Remove from the pan and top with a pat of butter.
- Add the burger patty to a buttered chaffle, top however you like, and enjoy!
What’s the Magic Behind Butter Burgers?
Butter burgers are uncomplicated. The straight-forward beef flavor isn’t muddled by fillers or other spices, and there are no binders like eggs or, in the case of keto burgers, almond flour or ground pork rinds.
When you pair the caramelized beef burgers with salty butter, magic just seems to happen.
The butter melts down over the beef creating a luscious juiciness that’s just hard to say no to!
Chef Jenn’s Tips To Make Amazing Keto Burgers
- Don’t overcomplicate it! The simplicity in this dish is what makes them so delicious. Resist the urge to add spices or fillers to the ground beef.
- Get a good brown sear on the beef – all that caramelization adds insane flavor.
- A stainless steel or cast iron pan will get you the best sear, but you can also use a non-stick skillet. You just won’t get a good dark sear.
- Check out this in-depth article on how to make air fryer frozen burgers for more tips.
What Toppings Should I Put on My Butter Burger?
You can top this Culver’s Butter Burger recipe however you like. These are some of my suggestions:
- Tomato – use sparingly, they’re a bit higher in carbs
- Fresh onion – use sparingly, they’re also higher in carbs
- Pickle slices
- Bacon slices – everything is better with bacon!
- Cheese – cheddar, Monterey jack, gouda or another easy melting cheese works best
- Sugar-free ketchup, mustard, mayo or any of your favorite condiments
- Try nestling these delish burgers on the best keto buns
Is This Recipe for Butter Burgers Freezer Friendly?
Yes, you can freeze these keto butter burgers. Simply cook each burger as per the instructions, then wrap them tightly in plastic or foil and freeze for up to three months.
To eat, thaw them and then reheat them in the microwave or oven.
The original Culver’s Butter Burgers are a patty of seasoned, lean ground beef that’s been seared on a griddle and put onto a generously buttered bun. You can mimic this recipe by searing a 1/4 pound of ground beef in a pan and topping the bun, or in this case the chaffle, with butter. A little extra butter on the burger patty doesn’t hurt, either.
It all depends on the thickness of the burger and the heat of the pan. You should cook your burger to an internal temperature of 165-F to be safe. That’s well-done with no pink inside.
Keto butter burgers are made with no fillers like breadcrumbs, almond flour or pork rinds. It is simple, tasty and seasoned beef that’s seared until dark brown and served with crispy chaffles.
Like This? Also Try:
Step By Step Process To Make This Recipe for Butter Burgers
Keto Butter Burgers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter divided
- 8 chaffles
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Portion the ground beef into 4 balls and flatten them slightly.
- Heat a stainless steel or cast iron skillet until hot but not smoking. Add a drop of oil to the pan if needed.
- Add the ground beef disk and flatten it with a flipper or spatula. Season it with salt and pepper. Flip when it is dark brown – but not burned – and season the other side.
- Butter two warm chaffles with 1/2 tbsp of butter and add a 1/2 tbsp of butter to the top of the burger patty. Repeat for the other burgers.
- Add your favorite toppings and serve!
A Note on Nutritional Information
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is calculated based on available online ingredient information. It is only an approximate value. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site cannot be guaranteed. Erythritol carbs (sugar substitutes) are not included in the carbohydrate counts as they have been shown not to impact blood sugar, and they have zero calories and zero carbs. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Want Even More Keto Deliciousness?
Here are some of my current favorite recipes:
- Beefy vegetable soup
- Southern inspired chicken casserole
- This French Dip chaffwich
- and for breakfast, this amazing hash recipe.
5 thoughts on “Keto Butter Burgers”
Sometimes simplicity gets the best results. These burgers are amazing. The true flavor comes through.
The addition of butter really made these decadent and filling.
Such a great way to use up those chaffles! Such a delicious burger 🙂
I’ve never wanted a burger this much in my life. It looks and sounds divine!
I love this twist using chaffles to make butter burgers keto! Genius.