Sloppy Joes were a go-to staple in our house for quick, easy, and tasty weeknight meals, but now that I’m on the Keto diet, we’re making and eating these yummy Keto Sloppy Joes. On the table in under 30 and with 5 net carbs per serving, serve this family-pleasing favorite with a salad or your favorite veggies.
OK, I’ll be the first to admit that these aren’t quite as easy as opening a can and browning some beef. But, I submit for your consideration that a quarter cup serving of Manwich has 8 grams of carbs and the second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup (aka sugar).
Making Keto Sloppy Joes from scratch is easy – so easy my 9-year old has made them. And, you can make a double batch of the sauce and freeze it for those nights when you need a quick meal.
Keto Sloppy Joes Tips
We use lean ground beef which I buy when it goes on sale. Alternatively, you can use any kind of ground beef, just be sure to drain off the fat before adding the sauce. Ground pork, chicken, or turkey could also be used.
Look for cans of tomato sauce that are just sauce. They could be labeled as tomato puree, or crushed tomatoes. Check the label – you don’t want to use sauce that has added sodium or sugar.
Make a double (or triple batch of sauce) and save some for later! And, to save even more time, take the ground beef out of the freezer the night before and leave it in the fridge to thaw so it’s ready to go.
I made the family’s Sloppy Joes on nice buns, but not wanting to eat the carbs, I made mine on a toasted FatHead bagel. It was delicious!
Keto Sloppy Joes are super tasty and super easy; keep this recipe handy for busy weeknights!
Make a double batch of Keto Sloppy Joes and freeze it for another busy night!
- 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, plain, unseasoned, no sugar or salt added
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar substitute
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Brown the beef in a large skillet, then drain off any fat. While it is cooking, finely chop the onions, green (or red) bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add the olive oil, onions, peppers, and garlic. Sautee over medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, brown sugar, mustard powder, Worcestershire Sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper to the pan. Bring to a low simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, to blend all the flavors together.
- Serve on your favorite keto bread, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 487mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered via Nutrifox, when available, or other similar online calculators. Nutrition values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but readers should make their own calculations if exact calculations are required. Recipe authors are not nutritionists or dieticians and recipes are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. Please consult your primary doctor before making any changes to your diet.