This post may contain affiliate link(s). As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See Disclosure.
Hearty, chunky, and with just a few net carbs per serving, this low-carb and keto Beef Pot Roast Soup is a meal you can really sink your spoon into!
Back when I owned my own business, we’d make two to three soups from scratch a day. To be honest, this was in Central Texas where the weather never got particularly cold, and where the demand for hot soup wasn’t ever as high as it is in some northern cities.
However, there was one soup that we’d almost always sell out of: Beef Pot Roast Soup. This soup is SO flavorful and filled with SO much chunky goodness, it is a hearty meal in a bowl.
This keto Beef Pot Roast Soup is also pretty forgiving.
See the Chef’s Tips below for ideas on how to change things up, or stick with my basic recipe, and if you want to try something else equally beefy, check out the Beefiest Beef Stew on the Planet, or for a tasty twist on a classic, try this Beef Goulash with Sauerkraut.
HOw to Make Beef Pot Roast Soup Recipe
I use stewing beef in this recipe, but I cut the cubes up small so that they’re easier to eat and so that they cook faster, but you can also use ground beef or another cut of beef.
Brown the beef right in the pot you’re going to cook the soup in – it all adds flavor! Make sure you’ve got a heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven to cook this in so it doesn’t burn.
Then, add diced onion, carrots (skip the carrots if you’re strict keto), celery, and garlic, and let those cook for a few minutes.
Everything then goes into the pot, except for the mushrooms. Those I add for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking time.
Let it simmer until the beef is tender, then add the mushrooms and let simmer for a few minutes.
Finally, season it with salt and pepper, and that’s it!
For my non-carb family, I’ll add frozen peas to the soup and if they’re being nice to me I’ll even cook up some barley for them to add to their soup. Barley is a big carb, though, so if you’re keto, stay away from the barley!
How To Make Beef Pot Roast Soup in an Instant Pot
This keto Beef Pot Roast Soup can be cooked in an Instant Pot. Here’s how:
- Brown the beef on the sautee setting.
- Add all the other ingredients, except for the mushrooms.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes on high.
- Normal release for 10 minutes, then manual release (carefully!).
- Add the mushrooms to the soup, and put it on sautee for 3-4 minutes and let the mixture boil to cook the mushrooms.
- Season and serve!
- For a faster cooking soup, use 1/2-3/4 pound ground beef.
- Add all your favorite veggies to this soup, not just the ones in the recipe!
- Freezer-friendly! Make a batch of this soup and freeze individual portions of it for quick lunches and dinners.
What to Serve With This Dish
Is This Keto Beef Soup Recipe Freezable?
Yes! This soup freezes really well.
To freeze it, simply chill the soup overnight in the fridge. Then, portion it into freezer-safe plastic bags or containers and freeze for up to three months.
To reheat, thaw it in the fridge overnight, then heat it slowly in a pot on the stove or in a microwave-safe dish in the microwave.
Like This? Also Try:
- Mexican Turkey Soup
- Beef & Sauerkraut Goulash
- Cream of Roasted Broccoli Soup
- Keto Meatloaf
- and be sure to check out my cookbooks!
Hearty, chunky, beefy and oh-so good, this keto Beef Pot Roast Soup is a delicious meal any time of the year!
- 1 pound stew beef
- 2 tbsp oil
- 8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Cut the stew beef into small chunks. Working in batches, brown the stew beef in a skillet over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Set aside.
- In the same skillet and with 1 tsp of oil, sautee the garlic, onions, carrot, celery, and turnips. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Put the beef, veggies, diced tomatoes and liquid, beef broth, bay leaf and 1 tsp of dried thyme into a soup pot. Simmer covered for 20-30 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Remove the lid and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Season to your liking with the salt and pepper, remove the bay leaf, and serve!
To freeze: Completely cool the soup and portion it into single-serve containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Heat on the stovetop in a pan or in the microwave to reheat and enjoy.
Yield:12 1-cup servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 593mgCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g
All recipes reflect approximate nutrition values for your convenience. Data is gathered via Nutrifox, when available, or other similar online calculators. Nutrition values can vary for each recipe based on variables such as measurement accuracy, different brands of ingredients, and so on. We make every effort to be as accurate as possible, but readers should make their own calculations if exact calculations are required. Recipe authors are not nutritionists or dieticians and recipes are not to be considered as medical or nutritional advice. Please consult your primary doctor before making any changes to your diet.